MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Let's take Vanilla's Idea and make some Chocolate Rain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You know you like it, it would be the greatest way to get more users...
This has probably been discussed many times before and frowned upon because we don't want to make MyBB a social network forum but you gotta admit, having, built in, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, Google, and OpenID would be amazing. It has to be extremely simple that any forum admin could understand like With Vanilla. Just activate, place your API keys, and you're set. Just that simple.
Well that's my remaining 2 cents and now i'm off to sleep to get some more.
OK. And I ran out and so I can't give you any more Sad

Facebook integration would be nice. But the others I don't really care about
Give it ten years, facebook won't be used. Why add something to the core that would do that? I think an offical plugin would be better for this.
Well, facebook login is already available as a plugin. I would like to see OpenID support from a plugin too. Thing is, I don't reckon these things should be core features. As Aristotle said, they suit as plugins much better.
(2011-05-31, 02:14 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Give it ten years, facebook won't be used. Why add something to the core that would do that? I think an offical plugin would be better for this.

Or, it may still be around but they change that part of the api without notification head of time breaking every site Toungue.
(2011-05-31, 03:49 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-31, 02:14 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Give it ten years, facebook won't be used. Why add something to the core that would do that? I think an offical plugin would be better for this.

Or, it may still be around but they change that part of the api without notification head of time breaking every site Toungue.

Good point, this also means pushing a release out everytime facebook does an update, imo thats unessarcy.
All you basically need for bare basics is an integrated OpenID system for MyBB. OpenID would support all the network logins because they all use the OAuth method. Even if Facebook dies, the integrated OpenID would be able to be expanded to any OAuth site.
And who cares if Facebook dies in 10 years? How many people actually look at the state of a stie in 10 years? That's like 5 Ice Ages in Internet time.
Should be a plugin you can add.
(2011-05-31, 07:28 PM)thelicoriceman Wrote: [ -> ]And who cares if Facebook dies in 10 years? How many people actually look at the state of a stie in 10 years? That's like 5 Ice Ages in Internet time.

IF you plan on taking full advantage of it's API's and it won't be out for a few years anyway I think it's a really good idea to look 5-10 years ahead...

Idea's more important, really. You're just using alternative logins or whatnot and making it convenient on the end-user. That's what's more important at the end of the day. The forums should be about them, not us.
Pages: 1 2 3