MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Adding extra fields to new posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have installed XThreads on my forum, to add extra fields to a query. This works all fine, but now I would like to add extra fields to the posts as well (different ones than to the query). This is not possible with Xthreads. Anyone know a plugin for that?

Thanks
Are those fields stored in the posts table? All fields in the user, post and forum table are included in the $post variable in the postbit template.
I think its possible with Xthreads.
I asked it on the Xthreads forum but they say it can't be done.
Aries: I am not sure what you mean.
I want a user that replies to a thread to fill in more than 1 field. So not just message (and subject), but also for example 'favorite pet' and 'name of school'.
I managed to do that for new threads already with Xthreads, but it does not work for new posts.
Look at Xthreads examples e.g. this: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=305 . Though its highly modified but you may use it to show input fields on newthread newreply pages and getting the inputted values on postbit.
I checked the page, but still I don't think that works. It only applies to the new thread, but not to the posts that are made in that thread. The guy who wrote that guide (RateU) is actually the same guy that told me that you can not have customizable fields for new posts, only for new threads...
Alright, you would need a completely new plugin then.
Do you know a plugin which does this? I can't find any. Basically I think that when Xthreads does not do the tric, it might not exist yet...?
Welcome to MyBB Erain,
(2011-06-01, 05:30 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Are those fields stored in the posts table? All fields in the user, post and forum table are included in the $post variable in the postbit template.

Aries-Belgium has told you (and/or anyone who could make the plugin) many important clues about exactly how to do this:

(2011-06-01, 05:41 PM)Erain Wrote: [ -> ]... I want a user that replies to a thread to fill in more than 1 field. So not just message (and subject), but also for example 'favorite pet' and 'name of school'...

Simple, Basic Overview:
1) Add ~4 new fields to your mybb_posts database table (ie. extra_field1 and extra_field2, also label1 and label2)

2) The thread starter could define the content of label1 and label2 (in your example 'favorite pet' and 'name of school')

3) Now, the end users provide the data in every post.
^^^
See, it is very possible...
I'm an idea guy, and you need a programmer. Toungue

Yes, it is not been created yet, you've to wait until any one make a plugin.
Pages: 1 2