MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration E-mails Not Sent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have come to the conclusion that registration e-mails aren't being sent out by my forums (no wonder suspected spam/advertising bots have been registering and not posting!). I have no idea how long it's been this way, but for a good while at least I imagine.

My forums were originally on a home server, and I later moved them to free hosting long back. I had registrations set as instant when it was on my home server, since I had no mail server set up (it eluded me), but when I moved to the hosting I'm at now, I set it to send registration e-mails. I wonder if it's been broken all along.

I searched about this issue and found this thread from way back.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-25501.html

There was no solution given, but there was a post there which led to this page.

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Help:Mail

I tried the second step by making a script for testing the PHP mail functions, and the result is that it says "Mail was sent by PHP". However, I am getting no e-mail at the e-mail address I used for the script (I'm fairly sure it's not being sent to a spam filter/whatnot, but who knows). What does this potentially indicate if it says it's working/being sent, but isn't?

Is this perhaps a hosting/server issue?

I've disabled registration e-mails for the time being, but I don't want it to my long-term solution.
I think you have to contact your host. If the test script works, there is not much you can do about it and then it's probably a hosting issue.
Thanks. I'll get in contact with them and see what they find. As the mailing function (apparently) worked alright, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some setting in MyBB I was overlooking before I contacted them.
(2011-06-03, 07:19 AM)Kiwi76 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I'll get in contact with them and see what they find. As the mailing function (apparently) worked alright, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some setting in MyBB I was overlooking before I contacted them.

You don't receive the mail from the testing script either, right? It doesn't use the MyBB settings so it's something else that is causing this.
Correct, I didn't receive anything.

Before asking hosting, I did a little digging around cPanel in the e-mail area and found this.
Quote:A message that you sent was rejected by the local scanning code that
checks incoming messages on this system. The following error was given:

This server doesn't send mail for sbcglobal.net.
Make that, ALOT of those.

Now I need to try and figure out what it is and where. Is this, by any chance, the "Admin Email" field in "General Configuration"? I thought I was supposed to use my account's e-mail address there?

That also doesn't explain how a test script unrelated to MyBB failed as well, with a different error though.
Quote:This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]>:
host sbcmx8.prodigy.net [207.115.36.22]: 553 5.3.0 nlpi141 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521<
64.191.64.213 >_is_blocked.__For_information_see_http://att.net/blocks
Wait, what? Blocked?

Now I remember why I never why mail going on my home server. It's all a complicated nightmare.
It seems like your server is blocking e-mails sent to @sbcglobal.net . Do you have another e-mail that you can test, like gmail or hotmail?
Why is it blocking them? (I know it's something I likely need to ask my host) Seems it's AT&T's fault, actually.

Yes, I do have another e-mail. I tested it using an @live e-mail and now it was sent (albeit to the junk folder).

That doesn't explain why every email being sent out by the forums is being blocked due to my email address though, is it? I don't get that.
Mails sent with sendmail (default PHP mail function) has a big chance of being marked as spam by Hotmail and Live. I always have that problem. Did you get SMTP information from your host? Change the mail type setting to SMTP and fill in the other information needed. Now try to send a test mail.

If you don't have that information or it doesn't work, you will have to contact your host and ask why mail to your e-mail address is blocked.
(2011-06-03, 08:21 AM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Did you get SMTP information from your host? Change the mail type setting to SMTP and fill in the other information needed. Now try to send a test mail.
I got no SMTP information that I know of (emphasis meaning I'm so lost at this point).

Quote:If you don't have that information or it doesn't work, you will have to contact your host and ask why mail to your e-mail address is blocked.
How does my specific e-mail domain being blocked (if it is) have anything to do with someone else, let alone every single one else, failing to get anything and everything sent out from the forums?

The first message doesn't make it look like it's blocked, rather it won't send mail for another domain (whatever that itself means, I am clueless when it comes to mailing and servers and such), but I'm just making guesses here. I'm really lost.

Yes, the server refuses mail to be sent for another domain AND it (or their ISP or datacenter) also seems to block e-mails being sent to that e-mail. You have to contact your host for this issue.

Alternatively, you could use an external SMTP server. There are some paid services but also some free ones, like GMail for instance. Gmail allows you to send mail via their SMTP server and normally it works with any e-mail address to any e-mail address (that exists). You need a Google Account though. You can find the SMTP information for Gmail SMTP here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answe...swer=13287
Pages: 1 2