MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Clicking on forum links results in a 404 error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,
I can access the index page of my forum just fine. I can access the admin cp just fine. However whenever I try to view material and/or content on my forum board, the clicked subject/topic/link always results in an error page that reads as such: "Not Found

The requested URL /forum/Forum-Welcome was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at rcstorenmore.com Port 80"

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the permissions set on my various directories. What are the optimal permissions to set on folders and files for your directory tree, if that's what's causing this error. Thanks in advance for replies.
Are you using any SEO plugins such as Google SEO?
(2011-06-06, 05:43 AM)Jordan Lovelle Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using any SEO plugins such as Google SEO?

I am. Did I configure it wrong?
Well you're getting the 404 errors because of a problem with .htaccess. Open up FTP, have a look in your site's forum directory for a file called ".htaccess", download this file to your own desktop and open it with a text editor (Notepad is fine).

Go in to your Admin CP and click on "Plugins", underneath the "Google SEO" plugin there should be something that says "You need to add the following code to your .htaccess:" or something along those lines. Copy paste that code, open your text editor and paste it in. Re-upload the .htaccess to your forum and it should work. Smile
(2011-06-06, 05:46 AM)Jordan Lovelle Wrote: [ -> ]Well you're getting the 404 errors because of a problem with .htaccess. Open up FTP, have a look in your site's forum directory for a file called ".htaccess", download this file to your own desktop and open it with a text editor (Notepad is fine).

Go in to your Admin CP and click on "Plugins", underneath the "Google SEO" plugin there should be something that says "You need to add the following code to your .htaccess:" or something along those lines. Copy paste that code, open your text editor and paste it in. Re-upload the .htaccess to your forum and it should work. Smile

I did do that... that might be what started this in the first place. I'll double check though.
Sometimes there's something like "This should be the first re-write rule" or something, which you must put at the top of .htaccess.
Ok, I think I have it working. My problem was that I did not rename the example file provided the SEO plugin correctly. my file was called htaccess.txt, which is not correct. Once I inserted the file renamed as .htaccess, it seems to be working... I think. Thanks for your help.
Ah, no problem! We've all been there.