MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Link colors in posts should be changed to be more visible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What I mean is that here, on THIS forum, there is a usability problem with link colors.
Well, can you see them? Yes or no?
There's plenty of ways to tell if they're links, most of them look like a web address, and some people put them in words like "here" and "link". Not a problem IMO.
I don't know what browser you are using but with Firefox for instance, you can use Stylish to change the links color on this website. And Chrome also has that extension
(2011-06-16, 03:33 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Well, can you see them? Yes or no?

I have perfect eyesight and on this site I can barely see visited links (<-- did you see this one?), and I can distinguish non-visited links (dark blue) from regular text (black on gray), but not as easily as if their color was, say, the standard blue (#00F). We've already heard from another user who can't see visited links.

(2011-06-16, 03:33 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]There's plenty of ways to tell if they're links, most of them look like a web address, and some people put them in words like "here" and "link". Not a problem IMO.

Of course there are some ways to see links, you could mouse over all the words and see when the cursor changes shape.

The idea, apparently foreign to you, is to provide good usability. Links should be easily distinguishable from normal text, and visited links should look different from non-visited links (except in navigational elements), and that's a well-known usability guideline (<-- link that doesn't use some silly nondescriptive text like "here").

(2011-06-16, 08:34 AM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what browser you are using but with Firefox for instance, you can use Stylish to change the links color on this website. And Chrome also has that extension

Yes, I know about Stylish, and that is a way cumbersome and particular solution that does not address the core usability issue: links should be easily distinguishable from text, on all browsers, without any plugins.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing for the obvious. I've posted a patch for the default theme. So long.
I saw them all without a problem. Most people change the default theme anyway.

Matt Rogowski Wrote:You could probably spend hours finding problems with the theme. It was written a long time ago and we realise it may not be the most standards compliment and most accessible example of HTML and CSS ever written. Most people have a customised theme so this change wouldn't be applied to their theme anyway, and actually, now that I come to look at it, there is a colour difference between the links, which I can see quite well.

Even Matt can see them "quite well" Toungue

I doubt they will work on the default theme when 2.0 is on the way, we'll just have to wait before the links show up in large orange capitals Wink
Yes, ultimately we're not going to start fixing a load of issues like this on this theme at this stage of its life. It just isn't worth it. As I said on the dev site, you'll probably find a lot of things wrong with it, because it's an old theme and standards and expectations maybe weren't the same 7 years ago, and considering the fact we haven't been flooded with complaints about it over 7 years it doesn't seem to affect too many people. However, this is why the 2.0 theme is being done better, so things like this aren't an issue.
(2011-07-07, 06:46 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, ultimately we're not going to start fixing a load of issues like this on this theme at this stage of its life. It just isn't worth it.

I fully agree. Work on the 2.0 theme is the way to go.

But we do face an issue right now on this forum. And I've sent a patch for it. The only work for an admin of this forum to do is to edit global.css and copy/paste the following CSS rules:

.post_content a:link {
color:blue;
}
.post_content a:visited {
color:purple;
}

That's it. I'm not proposing overhauling the default theme or anything of the sort. Just applying the change above to this forum, so we have good usability.

How long would that take, a minute? Why do we have to waste hours debating this really simple improvement?
^ I guess they do not want to change it as the forum here should reflect the functionality
of default theme available for download. (though there are a few exceptions like mysupport)
(2011-07-08, 04:36 AM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not proposing overhauling the default theme or anything of the sort. Just applying the change above to this forum, so we have good usability.

How long would that take, a minute? Why do we have to waste hours debating this really simple improvement?

We don't have to waste hours. Obviously the theme designer doesn't want MyBB's theme to have boring blue and purple a elements.
Pages: 1 2