MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [How To] Fix Encoding Problem while converting to mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone ...

Today i'm going to explain how to fix the encoding problem since i saw many people have this problem & I also Big Grin after suffering my time (5 days) trying to fix the encoding only Confused.

Well you can check my thread & if you have the same problem i am pretty sure it will works 100%.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-96097.html

I have test it with

Vb 4.0.7 > Mybb 1.6.3

Database Collation : latin1_swedish_ci

The database encoding is Latin1 (latin1_swedish_ci)

======

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING MAKE SURE TO MAKE BACKUP (ANOTHER COPY) OF YOUR FILES

First, we have to make sure to know :

A- the encoding of (tables) database.
B- the encoding of language file (because the HTML file that set for clients browsers).

if we know this 2 things we apply the same with the mybb forum.

1- Clean install of Mybb & choose database table encoding depend on "A" .

Review this & choose the description that appear in drop box of table encoding by knowing the charset:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/c...mysql.html

2- after we have done installing now we go use merge file (convert).

when we reach to choose database encoding table we choose the same as in step "1".

Choose "No" in UTF-8 converting message

3- after finishing selecting what you need to convert press cleanup.

4- now return to forum & login.

5- go to "admincp > Configuration > Languages".

6- go to the "languages" you want to change and click on option & choose "Editing Language Set Properties".

7- go to "Character Set" field & write the charset the same as in "B".

Finallly ... Done Toungue

Note 1 : Sometimes the language file missed up while what you want is fixed :\.

Note 2 : I have test it with arabic encoding problem i have not test it with other languages but am pretty sure it will works because we made the mybb forum have totally the same encoding as old forum.

Note 3 : i will try to know how to fix the language file & i will update this thread.

The rest is up to moderatos if they want to stick it or not or move it to correct forum if i post it in wrong section Wink

My Regards ...
The problem with this method is that you then lose the benefits of utf8. Instead you should just choose the correct table encoding when performing the merge (the encoding used on the old database) and leave the conversion to utf8 on.
(2011-06-10, 02:48 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with this method is that you then lose the benefits of utf8. Instead you should just choose the correct table encoding when performing the merge (the encoding used on the old database) and leave the conversion to utf8 on.

I have tried that also but without doing step "7" and the problem was still

so i am gonna try to do it with step "7"

The thing make me anger is the huge database ~500 MB so its takes long time ....