MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Macbook Pro - Opinions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
That mac is overkill Toungue

You could build a good desktop AND get a decent non-mac laptop with good enough specs on both for running minecraft.

Portal 2 isn't a very intensive game. Yes, granted, it's more intensive than minecraft, but not massively.
(2011-06-12, 09:34 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Portal 2 isn't a very intensive game. Yes, granted, it's more intensive than minecraft, but not massively.

That was out of nowhere. Toungue
Get the 13" and a 21.5"+ monitor with the money saved. Also Minecraft is rather CPU intensive, since it appears to not know how to use graphics cards.
IIRC my friend had two 13 inches, he said these broke way easier when dropped. Apparently Apple does wonders with warrenty though
Big time MBP 15" user here -- am about to get the newer version (I have the previous generation model). I've used Windows since 3.1 existed, just to give you an idea, and I can tell you right now that from experience the Apple platform is significantly more stable.

I've had my MBP running 14 days consecutively before, on and off standby, and I haven't had any issues. The battery is amazing, and it's damn good when it comes to presentations and travel. Absolutely love it.

The only nasty thing is with the DisplayPort connector: you have to carry two converters if you do a lot of presentations. Most of the places I go to allow you to hook up to a HDTV or projector over VGA, but some places do use DVI, so you've forever got to prepare for both.

My MBP was dropped about 1.2m from a desk when it was left there precariously balanced in December last year. The only thing that broke was the ethernet port, which actually functions, but the chassis is slightly dented and so you can't fit the connector in. (Second reason to get a new MBP).

15" is the perfect size in terms of portability; great for editing, not much heavier than the 13", and it isn't as bulky as the 17" whilst offering a similar level of performance. 10/10
(2011-06-12, 11:45 AM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-12, 09:34 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Portal 2 isn't a very intensive game. Yes, granted, it's more intensive than minecraft, but not massively.

How so?

(2011-06-12, 12:03 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Also Minecraft is rather CPU intensive, since it appears to not know how to use graphics cards.
Minecraft is mainly RAM intensive. 1.6 had a major CPU problem but that has been mostly fixed in the releases up to 1.6.6. Minecraft, still being in beta, has a few bugs. One such bug is memory leaks, and it's seems to be unable to recycle the RAM it's used (getting stuck in memory loops, leading to leaks).

(2011-06-12, 09:34 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]That mac is overkill Toungue

You could build a good desktop AND get a decent non-mac laptop with good enough specs on both for running minecraft.

Portal 2 isn't a very intensive game. Yes, granted, it's more intensive than minecraft, but not massively.

Runs on my 6+ year old system without a prob. It's Minecraft that is pushing it a bit.

And Kolton, are you sure you need 15"? It's quite large.
Just got the 15", I like a bit bigger screen, since I use my computer so much. It runs my games extremely well, and I am loving this OS. So, overall a great purchase. Thank you all.
(2011-06-12, 06:56 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

How so?

Nobody else was talking about portal. I guess they were talking about steam, but the wording still seems pretty random and out of nowhere.
(2011-06-12, 09:17 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-12, 06:56 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

How so?

Nobody else was talking about portal. I guess they were talking about steam, but the wording still seems pretty random and out of nowhere.

O rly? Toungue

(2011-06-12, 12:32 AM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Alex, I do wish to try a Mac, and need a good screen/specs. Toungue Minecraft is a little odd with requirements. I also want to get Portal 2 with Steam, as I have it for the PS3 & give that a try. I will be exploring new stuff, but these are the primary requirements.

If it can't meet these, I won't buy it.

Also, thank you Mr. E Smile

Pages: 1 2 3 4