MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it a good idea to start using HTML5 yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I use HTML5 wit no problem myself (and the site works in all browsers that I have access to). You don't even need modernizr or whatever (though it does help). Either way, old browsers need to have JS enabled. For those without it, the layout simply won't work correctly.
If you do decide to use it I would recommend looking into html5boilerplate. I'm using it on blog and it takes care of a lot of the little stuff. It's not like grid framework or anything but more of a reset with benefits Wink.
I think on a new site it's a benefit to use HTML5 standards.
Frankly if people are using an old browser and have javascript disabled it's their own fault if things don't work. It's not reasonable to support such setups. People running XP can use IE8 no problem. Use modern standards, have some sort of fall back for browsers that don't support it, but there's only so much you can do for people who use IE6 with no javascript. If everybody makes websites work in IE6 then people using it won't realise they need to upgrade because everything works to some extent, if they start to see that every site they visit has problems, the penny may drop.
(2011-06-12, 07:26 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]If you do decide to use it I would recommend looking into html5boilerplate. I'm using it on blog and it takes care of a lot of the little stuff. It's not like grid framework or anything but more of a reset with benefits Wink.

+1. Boilerplate is awesome.

(2011-06-12, 08:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly if people are using an old browser and have javascript disabled it's their own fault if things don't work. It's not reasonable to support such setups. People running XP can use IE8 no problem. Use modern standards, have some sort of fall back for browsers that don't support it, but there's only so much you can do for people who use IE6 with no javascript. If everybody makes websites work in IE6 then people using it won't realise they need to upgrade because everything works to some extent, if they start to see that every site they visit has problems, the penny may drop.

Agreed. It's their own damn fault for not being up to date. Although I do see why this can still be a problem with the school's site.
Pages: 1 2