MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: AdBlock Blocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I recently encountered this plugin for WordPress and an ad provider, and it's supposed to keep AdBlock from working on them:
http://omninoggin.com/wordpress-plugins/...ss-plugin/

I thought this was cool, and wanted to have something that would do the same on MyBB, because there's a whole lot of lost revenue there when people visit forums with AdBlock enabled.

Personally, I try to disable it when I visit a forum or blog, as I realize how much revenue they're losing. I realize some people do go crazy with ads, but for someone like me who is really concerned about where ads are placed and how big they are, it shouldn't be a problem on my forum.

Takers? Thoughts?
I'm personally an AdBlock user no matter what - ads annoy me a ton. However, this should be what you're looking for: http://erikswan.net/abp/
(2011-06-15, 05:33 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I'm personally an AdBlock user no matter what - ads annoy me a ton. However, this should be what you're looking for: http://erikswan.net/abp/

That's a good find, and should help a plugin maker Smile
I'll be looking through that source code and try to implement it.
It's just JS. Use their code and then use a window.location.replace to send the user to a page telling them to disable adblock Smile
I would suggest directly integrating this with the MyBB JS, they could just block the script that's supposed to block the blocker and they've successfully blocked the ads. (That's a lot of blocks)

Nvm I didn't read the full webpage.
(2011-06-15, 07:12 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest directly integrating this with the MyBB JS, they could just block the script that's supposed to block the blocker and they've successfully blocked the ads. (That's a lot of blocks)

But then what happens if they block the mybb js? A lot of things get broken.
Exactly - meaning they'll be reluctant to do so.

Let's be honest though, who's going to go to the hassle of adding a block for your site - it would mean figuring out where the blocker is at (don't use an obvious filename like block.js for extra annoy-ance) then blocking it. Their alternative is to turn off JS (why would you?) or just simple add an exception. I know which of the 3 options I'd choose (hint: number 3).
(2011-06-15, 07:17 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly - meaning they'll be reluctant to do so.

Let's be honest though, who's going to go to the hassle of adding a block for your site - it would mean figuring out where the blocker is at (don't use an obvious filename like block.js for extra annoy-ance) then blocking it. Their alternative is to turn off JS (why would you?) or just simple add an exception. I know which of the 3 options I'd choose (hint: number 3).
Yeah I see what you mean now. I know I would go to the hassle Toungue
Combining it in mybb.js should be enough if we were using another js file, but we're using a file named advertisement.js to do the detection, and some javascript code in the HTML, so I don't think it would be an issue.
The reason I striked my post out is because Erik embeds the JS directly in the file, instead of using an external JS file. (I honestly did not think of doing that) It'll be a lot harder to remove the code then just white listing the site.
This technique is definitely ok, but what I'd like is a way to keep the ads displaying even if AdBlock is enabled. Making people feel guilty doesn't work all the time and you're still losing revenue.
Pages: 1 2