MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Preventing Googlebot from indexing Users?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know how to use robots.txt to prevent Google from indexing user profiles on my forum, but my question is whether I should do it. Is it better to have these indexed or not? Opinions?
you have a dating forum --> so allow Google to index user profiles !!
User profiles don't really doesn't really have a great value for your forum (SEO-wise). Although, if anyone would Google a username to see which forums he's also on, it could also attract other users to join. Changes are slim but it happens sometimes.
But it doesn't hurt you in terms of SEO? My main concern is that most user profiles are identical except for the username (they only differ when someone actually fills out the info) so it seems like Google would be indexing a lot of useless pages; also if someone slips by and starts posting spam links in their profile I'd prefer for Google not to index that.

Those were my reasons for blocking. Are there any good reasons for including? Aries and ranjani - you both make good points, but right now I guess I'm leaning toward keeping them blocked.
Well, the less pages Google can index, the less pages your website can be found for. In that perspective it does hurt SEO a bit. Although, you should ask yourself the question if you want to be found by these pages.