MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello guys,

I am setting up a server at my home for a few weeks because I am waiting for parts of machine to come. Anyway, I plan to use it mostly for giving free hosting and mass mp3 storage. Which OS do you suggest to me and why ? Please try to be more specific, especially about security it is something I care about the most. I don't need user interface, nice look or such. Just need stable and secure server.

Thank you in advance,
Sisko
Linux maybe?
Debian !!
Debian or Slack.
Why debian why slack ?I was thinking about FREEBSD so far
Linux servers are the most popular with Hosting companies so you might want to go with them...
Hmm didn't quite get the details anyway thank you for your time
To be honest you wont go far wrong with any of the popular linux distros. Debian, Slackware, Redhat and a few others will all do fine. Its just the one you feel most comfortable using to be honest. Debian does however seem to be a popular choice these days.
FreeBSD is different than those linux it is bsd .
FreeBSD is considered more stable sometimes but I don't buy that. Go with any linux or unix based OS and you should be fine, as long as it's in production and security fixes are released. (on another thought, you won't need that rock solid security anyways Toungue) ..

I prefer CentOS (based on RedHat Enterprise).
Pages: 1 2