MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mail works for everything but forum subscriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all -

I'm running the forum on linode using the most latest version.

I've gotten everything working except for one thing.

No emails are sent out when a new thread is posted despite being subscribed to the forum and have the instant email notification set.

The mail function works. I get email notification when a private message is sent, can send email through the email in User CP, etc etc.

Its forum subscription email that does not work that is driving me nuts.

Any insight?

Thanks!
Then it's either rejected by receiving mail provider or it's in a spam filter.
ACP -> Tools & Maintenance -> System E-mail log. Can you find any errors there?
Yeah I got these error messages:

Quote:The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command. Reason: 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answe...swer=14257 e14sm2527756vby.18

and

Quote:MyBB was unable to authenticate you against the SMTP server
and

Quote:The SMTP server rejected the supplied SMTP password. Reason: 535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 535 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answe...swer=14257 e14sm2527756vby.18

Strange thing is all the other mailing functions work. If I send a private message to myself, I got email. If I send email through mybb, it works.

It's the emailing out when a new thread or post shows up that does not work. I'm truly puzzled by this.

Thanks
Can you check whether it works with PHPmail instead of SMTP?
Just tried phpmail, only using the email option on the forum works. nothing else works (mass mail, private message notification, thread notification).

So went back to SMTP and everything works except for thread notification.

I found a thread where it suggests to check for captcha with google app account. Lo and behold everything works now.

Thanks.
Was this problem ever sorted out?

Nevermind, resolved the problem myself.
mrdeltoid -

was it the captcha for google app that you need to enter in order to validate the emails? that did the trick for me for two of my mybb installations and email notifications.