MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Accessing Mybb from networked computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody!

I really am a newbie concerning forums...so please excuse for my lack of knowledge!
Okay...so I am trying to build a forum for my company communication, using Mybb 1.6 and XAMPP 1.73 (MySQL 5.5, PHP 5.3.6)
I had no problem during installation, creating the database etc...Managed to customize the look of my forum everything pretty intuitive and easy.
Now I am trying to connect the forum from a networked computer entering my server IP address :port/forum, and you'll see how the page looks! If I click on register or login, I have a page time out...

Sorry if the question was already answered before...but I used every bit of information I could find but couldn't resolve the issue...

What's your advise?

Thanks a lot!
Damien

AH, I'm guessing you have the board URL set as localhost? If so, you need to set it to the physical location on the network (eg: the IP address). I'm guessing you already have a static internal IP assigned to the machine acting as the host? If not, it's easy to do Smile
thats because the image paths are wrong.
Thanks Euantor...that was the issue! Entered the IP address instead of localhost and it was then accessible from the network.
Now another stupid question Smile, is it possible to make it be a web address instead of the IP address? Like www.xxxforum.com, redirected to that IP?
Is that something I'd have to deal with my IT guy (which I try to avoid as much as possible), or can I do it during the installation of Mybb? (I tried on the last installation page to enter an address but it didn't seem to work...)

Thanks!
You'd have to map a domain to your external IP if you want it to be web accessible. Alternatively (note that I'm used to linux rather than widnows), you could set a hostname and forward that to the local IP for local networks. I've got no idea if windows has an equivalent type of thing (never tried it) though I'd guess it does.

EDIT: Looking at it, on windows, this may work (it's not tested though and I'm not entirely sure):

\\{COMPUTERNAME}

where {COMPUTERNAME} is the name set for your PC in the computer name settings. If you don't know how to find this, I can tell you how in windows 7. Note that machines will have to be in the same workgroup (by default "WORKGROUP" seemingly) for this to work.

EDIT2:

You can simply use

http://{COMPUTERNAME}/forums

I just tested it on my network and it appears to work Smile
Thanks a lot everything! All of it worked!!! The //computername/forum worked great too...which makes a lot of sense thinking about it! Wink
This will stay on our networks anyways, not accessible from the web (unless connected to the VPN), so I just have to name the PC that will host Mybb a way it makes sense...

Thanks again...