MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I password protect inc directory, like in vb ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello,

In vbulletin you can password protect includes directory, so i want to ask if we can password protect inc directory in mybb just like admin directory ?

Thankyou
May i know why you need to password protect it?
Since no one can access inc directory directly from browser, password won't be needed.
AFAIK, everything in that directory and all directories gets included by various PHP files, so you could just use a regular old .htaccess password. If you have cPanel on your host, that's easy to do. If not, it's still not hard, just Google it.
I just want to increase security of forum, so i want to know if it is ok to password protect inc directory ?
It would cause major problems because almost everything uses the inc folder, so don't do it. If you want more protection, password protect and rename your admin directory.
(2011-06-21, 05:17 AM)Spazmatic Wrote: [ -> ]It would cause major problems because almost everything uses the inc folder, so don't do it. If you want more protection, password protect and rename your admin directory.

ok, thanks
If it worked with vB I don't see why it wouldn't work for MyBB if you did it the same way, but I would question the need to do it, accessing the files directly doesn't do anything anyway.
Some plugins may put files in inc/ - for example Google SEO has its documentation (google_seo.txt) there. Although it's non-critical, still something to consider when disabling access for inc/.

Instead of password protection you could just lock out the entire directory (or redirect to the main index). Because as long as nothing is in there, not even the admin needs to be able to access it. As such you do not need a password either. And if there isn't a password there won't be any attempts to hack it either.