MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: More Effective Spam Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Despite using Stopforumspam (which is a great plugin), some spammers are finding their way in, even with the Recaptcha in place as well. My forum is themed around a certain TV show. What would be great and effective would be an extra registration field that is a random rotation of easy questions about the series that spambots would not be able to answer.

Anything out there similar to this?
Plugin is incompatible with 1.4. Sad I know I should upgrade to 1.6, but I know one or two of the plugins I use are incompatible and I feel a bit reluctant to upgrade...
(2011-06-22, 01:56 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]Plugin is incompatible with 1.4. Sad I know I should upgrade to 1.6, but I know one or two of the plugins I use are incompatible and I feel a bit reluctant to upgrade...

Which ones? Most of them you could just manually change the compatibility in the file itself and it'll work.
This is a list of my currently active plugins (I have others I have disabled or tried to install but were only compatible with 1.6):

Registration Checkboxes Plugin
Add Spiders
Admins can log into Users' accounts
Birthday Mailer
Count Threads
Email about new members
Fast Menu
MyBB Forum Post Limit
HTML in Posts
My Achievements
NewPoints
Plugin Checker (for Pirata's plugins)
Private Messages Admin
PM On Registration
Prefix-Plugin
Prune Members
Quick Theme OnChange
reCAPTCHA Plugin
Remember us?
Stop forum spam
Youtube BBCode

Some I know for sure are compatible with 1.6, but I'm going to go through the list and try to find out what will and won't work. If you know any that definitely won't work with 1.6 please let me know. I believe the YouTube plugin will not be necessary since 1.6 has support integrated, right? Also, doesn't 2.0 come out soon anyway? Thanks for your help!

Edit: Another concern is my themes. The default theme is "The Cure" for 1.4. I know there's a 1.6 version, so hopefully it won't be too hard to switch that even with the template edits. The two other themes are Crisp which I really want to work, and MyMech which would be nice to have still working. I'll need to look these up. I can't even remember who made Crisp.
The same way you would change a 1.4 plugin's compatibility line to work with 1.6, you could do the contrary. Open up regsecureq.php, find:

"compatibility" 	=> "16*"

Change to:

"compatibility" 	=> "14*"

And that should work just fine. However you should upgrade to 1.6 as soon as possible, you're missing all the fun! Toungue

(2011-06-23, 07:42 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]Also, doesn't 2.0 come out soon anyway?

If soon for you is 2-3 years, then sure, it will come out soon! Seriously though, it's a complete re-write. New code, new theme and heaps of new features. It's going to take some time. Early screenshots were recently posted in the blog:

http://blog.mybb.com/2011/06/07/developing-the-future/
I don't think 2.0 comes out for awhile, and I think you need to upgrade. Lots of security vulnerabilities that have been made public have been fixed by the 1.6 upgrade so you're vulnerable to them as well now.
(2011-06-23, 07:48 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think 2.0 comes out for awhile, and I think you need to upgrade. Lots of security vulnerabilities that have been made public have been fixed by the 1.6 upgrade so you're vulnerable to them as well now.

Security vulnerabilities and bugs are patched for MyBB 1.4 as well, so he is safe (as long as he is running the latest 1.4 version).
Regarding my mention of themes before, I've recalled that Crisp was made by Zynge, who I paid to subscribe to their site, which is now off the 'net. "Lifetime support" indeed. Since the guy hasn't been online in over five months, it's easy to say he won't be updating the theme to 1.6. What are the odds of it working? Here's the thread for the theme. Then MyMech can be found here.

The themes are a primary concern for me. I guess I can ask the guy behind MyMech, but if the themes won't work I think I might just stick with 1.4, even if I can't have some plugins. (Although I could try the compatibility trick as mentioned.)

Edit: You can test the themes at my forum using the theme selector at the bottom of the page (no registration required) since there's no live demo of Crisp anymore. Thanks for your help.

Edit 2: How the hell does this thread have 25,000 views?
Themes can be easily updated. Install a 1.4 test board, install both themes, upgrade the 1.4 test board to 1.6, run the Find Updated Templates and apply the necessary changes. I can help you with this if you want.
Pages: 1 2