MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF 1.1.14 to MyBB => Empty/incomplete posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone!

I recently converted my SMF forum to MyBB but there was a problem:

Some posts (I’ve come across quite a few already) are either totally empty (rarer) or missing some text (sometimes huge chunks).

As far as I can tell the only consistent thing in the incomplete posts is that, if there is more than one space between the words, then the rest of the post after that "double space" would not be converted and it would become incomplete!

Did I make myself understood? I'll try to exemplify:

For example, a user made a post in the SMF forum saying this:

How odd! Some of my posts  are missing after the conversion

Then after the conversion, the same post on MyBB would become this:

How odd! Some of my posts 

Please, notice the double space between "posts" and "are" on the 1st example sentence.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? I'd edit all the posts by hand, but they might be quite a few as it is very common for users to make this kind of "mistake"

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your answers and info.

WBR,

mookie

EDIT: It seems the problem was in charset used. Using the cp1252 West European charset in the merger and using the option to convert automatically to utf-8, seems to have solved this issue. I will come back here later to confirm this.

EDIT2: That way did solve my incomplete posts but brought a whole new one: users can't login, wrong password apparently (I only tried my old admin account, tbh). Guess I'll give it ago tomorrow. Too tired right now! If you have any suggestions, please drop a line! Thanks Smile

EDIT3: As I suspected the problem was indeed on the charset. I created the mybb DB in cp1252, read my old DB as cp1252 too and chose to convert automatically to utf8 (while doing the merging) and now there are no apparent problems.
I'm glad you worked this out. A lot of people are experiencing issues because of improper settings for the utf8 conversions. One thing though, you should have set your MyBB db encoding and table encoding to utf8_general_ci when converting TO utf8. If you choose to leave it off, then matching table encodings is your best bet.
(2011-06-22, 06:44 AM)mookie Wrote: [ -> ]Please, notice the double space

Yes! This is the cause of my problems. Broken text

(2011-07-26, 11:24 PM)Scler Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-22, 06:44 AM)mookie Wrote: [ -> ]Please, notice the double space

Yes! This is the cause of my problems. Broken text

I solved my issues by using the correct charset. You should try using the same charset for everything (source DB, reading and target DB) and work it from there. Or even better, do as Dylan said and set the MyBB DB encoding to utf8_general_ci when converting to utf-8 (if that's what you are doing).
Well I have a similar problem.

My SMF is in spanish, and my installation of mybb too.

I have SMF 1.1.12, and phpmyadmin says that all tables are "utf8_unicode_ci" and in my new installation of MyBB 1.6.6 phpmyadmin says that all the tables are "utf8_unicode_ci" too.

In the merge zone, if I set the option:
Quote:Automatically convert messages to UTF8?:
Turn this off if the conversion creates weird characters in your forum's messages.

If I turn On, my post are complete, but creates weird characters.
If I turn Off, my post are incomplete with the characters good.

I do not know exactly, but apparently incomplete posts are those with a smilie or any symbol or some bbcode as quote.

After reading your solution:
Quote:As I suspected the problem was indeed on the charset. I created the mybb DB in cp1252, read my old DB as cp1252 too and chose to convert automatically to utf8 (while doing the merging) and now there are no apparent problems.

I try to do the same. I installed with encoding cp1252 MyBB, even then I went to phpmyadmin said: latin1_swedish_ci

So in my SMF database I modified the code to latin1_swedish_ci too with phpmyadmin.

After in the merge system, I turn On the option "Automatically convert messages to UTF8?".
And then when I went to check messages in the forum, note that no longer were incomplete, but still with some errors (less than in the first attempt). So I thought they were just some errors, which may be solved to enter the administration area and try to convert to UTF8. But then I noticed again (after conversion into the administration area) had been incomplete posts again.

I have been several attempts and I can not make it my migration. And unfortunately use shared hosting and I am afraid that if I will keep trying to warn about excessive CPU usage.

Does anyone have any idea that I can do to fix this? Huh

By the way, I also read the post of: http://community.mybb.com/thread-75231.html
Just because your tables say that encoding, it doesn't mean that SMF inserted the data in that encoding. I'm not sure what SMF is doing so I cannot say for sure. However if you do latin1_swedish_ci, you need to do it on both forums and leave the utf8 option off.