MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Slow Email Sending Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been told by several of my new members that it took a while to get the activation email after registering.

They stated that it was sometimes 15-30 minutes before it arrived.

Is there a way to improve this time? Would setting up an SMTP email for the forum speed this up? Or is it the mail task that I need to change?

Thanks for any help.
Activation emails are sent immediately.

Are you by any chance on godaddy? Godaddy and a few other hosts throttle emails using crons to send out emails in batches, so the emails would go out every 10-15 minutes depending on what they set, hence the delay. You could try using an smtp server and see if that helps.
(2011-06-23, 09:20 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Activation emails are sent immediately.

Are you by any chance on godaddy? Godaddy and a few other hosts throttle emails using crons to send out emails in batches, so the emails would go out every 10-15 minutes depending on what they set, hence the delay. You could try using an smtp server and see if that helps.

I'm on Hostgator. I'll see about setting up an SMTP server and see what that does. I just wondered if the MyBB mail task had anything to do with it.
My problem is a little different... but regardless of that I do truly love how MyBB works, although I've only been using it for a little more than a week now, and only have 20 registered users.
I'm trying to figure out how to send mass mailing to all 20 users. I did setup of my mail... with sending set to 1 per page (I'm not clear what that setting means?), and then proceeded through the 3 or 4 steps suggested. I selected registered users as my desired recipients. Anyway... it is now 2:30 minutes later and only 16% have been sent. I ven treid to speed things up by going to task manager mass mailing and setting times to 1,15,30,55. But still sending very slowly. What's the reason please? Any way I can send instantly to my small group or is the controlled by my host (JustHost)? Thanks in advance.
^ most probably mass mailing is controlled by the web host..
(2011-06-23, 06:47 PM)Hithereterry Wrote: [ -> ]My problem is a little different... but regardless of that I do truly love how MyBB works, although I've only been using it for a little more than a week now, and only have 20 registered users.
I'm trying to figure out how to send mass mailing to all 20 users. I did setup of my mail... with sending set to 1 per page (I'm not clear what that setting means?), and then proceeded through the 3 or 4 steps suggested. I selected registered users as my desired recipients. Anyway... it is now 2:30 minutes later and only 16% have been sent. I ven treid to speed things up by going to task manager mass mailing and setting times to 1,15,30,55. But still sending very slowly. What's the reason please? Any way I can send instantly to my small group or is the controlled by my host (JustHost)? Thanks in advance.
We won't be able to help you until you make your own thread instead of hijacking mine Wink
(2011-06-23, 06:47 PM)Hithereterry Wrote: [ -> ]My problem is a little different... but regardless of that I do truly love how MyBB works, although I've only been using it for a little more than a week now, and only have 20 registered users.

In future, its better to just create your own thread rather than hijack an already existing one, you will get a far better response.

You have set the perpage setting of the mass mail too low. The per page setting controls how many mails are sent everytime the task runs, so if you set it to 1, and your task runs 4 times in an hour, thats only 4 mails in an hour. Bumping it up to 5 or 10 would enable you to send 20 or 40 mails in an hour and so on.

(2011-06-23, 10:54 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]We won't be able to help you until you make your own thread instead of hijacking mine Wink

Its his first post here, lets let it slide this one time Wink

(2011-06-23, 10:59 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]

In future, its better to just create your own thread rather than hijack an already existing one, you will get a far better response.

You have set the perpage setting of the mass mail too low. The per page setting controls how many mails are sent everytime the task runs, so if you set it to 1, and your task runs 4 times in an hour, thats only 4 mails in an hour. Bumping it up to 5 or 10 would enable you to send 20 or 40 mails in an hour and so on.

(2011-06-23, 10:54 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]We won't be able to help you until you make your own thread instead of hijacking mine Wink

Its his first post here, lets let it slide this one time Wink

Thanks G33K very much! Now I know something about what per perpage settings means and I'll increase it. I'll search for perpage settings to see if I can find further explanations in this regard.

Lucasbytegenius... please excuse my lack of genius. I know how you must feel since I really find it difficult to excuse rudeness or the lack of competence in others myself. Please be well and thanks for your sense of understanding for a newbie. T.