MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Truth Behind Meat Production
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2011-07-03, 04:23 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I watched the entire video because as someone who consumes meat and other animal products, I feel that I at least owe the respect of coming to terms with the reality of the situation. It's painful for me to watch this, because I do consider myself a person who cares about animals. I do my best to buy meat from sources whom I know can be trusted, but unfortunately it's harder for me now since I am living in a big city (I used to live on a small island with many local farms).

There's strong evidence that eating meat is what allowed us to evolve into human beings, and I do think that eating meat is a normal thing for humans to do. But I'm ashamed to see the way people treat Irreligious' well-thought out arguments. If you're unwilling to face the reality of what an animal-based diet can mean to the world, you don't have the right to criticize anyone else.
Agreed.

It hurts me to see the way animals are treated, and I would much rather them be treated much better. However, I will not become a vegetarian. Unless most of the human race decides to switch to veggies, it is worthless anyway.

Personally, I'll keep eating meat, but I do hope that animals are treated better. It would hurt everyone much less.
For real, you don't NEED meat for any kind of nutritional reasons. Anyone who claims you do is just being dishonest.
I think it would benefit our bodies to eat a variety of foods, but we can have a meat substitute, of course. Though, I enjoy the taste of meat, and don't plan to stop eating it, whether we need to or not.
I already mentioned soy beans in an earlier post Smile And I was just quoting the foods he stated. There is a reason plants haven't evolved brains Toungue

Also, spirulina doesn't count as it is a dietary supplement for meat Confused

Conclusion, you can live without meat. But our bodies have grown to rely on it so much. Skipping out on it makes our life harder, and if you don't supplement it correctly you could end up in serious trouble - including poor growth of some very important organs!
(2011-07-04, 06:13 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Also, spirulina doesn't count as it is a dietary supplement for meat Confused

It's made out of a bacteria which technically makes it naturally occurring. So I don't know, I'd say it counts.
Yes, but it is a "supplement" for people who don't eat meat. So it is made entirely because they are nutrient deficient.
You could use it as a supplement but you can't say it was specifically made for that purpose. (Unless you're talking about the artificial kind) Spirulina is completely naturally occurring, just like any other organism. It was actually used as a food source up until the 16th century.
(2011-07-03, 10:50 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, by the looks of things you just copy/pasted that info.

Let's take Tryptophan as an example:

1. You mentioned meat, fish and turkey in your example.
2. Typical g of Tryptophan/ 100g of food (that I can find data for):

Chocolate = 0.18
Banana = 0.01
Milk = 0.08
Oats (in oatmeal form) = 0.04
Cheese (Parmesan) = 0.56

Then how about meats?
Atlantic Cod = 0.70
Pork = 0.25
Chicken = 0.24
Turkey = 0.24
Egg White = 1.00

I assume it is far easier to eat 100g of pork (making 25g of tryptophan) than it is to eat 625g of chocolate (again making 25g of tryptophan).

Then there's the fact most plant based foods offer little in the way of other nutrients, with many being nutrient poor. Roots are often full of carbohydrates, but animal meats have fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals as well as water and proteins.

Yes, I copied that info from here: http://www.glisonline.com/essential-amino-acids.html

Of course it's far easier to eat pork, but that's not why we need to eat pork. I don't expect my life to be easy.

If easy = killing a living being for my own benefit when I have other options, no thanks, I choose the hard way when I can be vegan I live a healthier life.

Also, there's a big problem with eating meat. Too much protein. But well, I won't post more in this thread... Don't get me wrong, but when you said "it's easier to eat pork" you killed the discussion.

Be happy with the way you live your life, that's all that matters. Smile

(2011-07-04, 10:27 AM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]Be happy with the way you live your life, that's all that matters. Smile

+1 life's too short. Don't deprive yourself of enjoyment when it's not particularly necessary.
(2011-07-04, 10:27 AM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]If easy = killing a living being for my own benefit when I have other options, no thanks, I choose the hard way when I can be vegan I live a healthier life.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to hunt down and kill your dinner these days. If you go to a restaurant they serve meals that have been prepared for you. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7