MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Posts Indicator Not Updating Properly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly, I'd like to point out that I have had a quick search of the forum to see if I could find any existing solutions but to no avail.

Anyway, we're running the latest version of MyBB, 1.6.3 I believe and this has been upgraded quite a few times from MyBB 1.4. The link to our forum is http://forums.hostcell.net/.

The thing is, when new topics are created, the new post icon lights up on the index of the forum and proceeding into the board shows the topics as bold which is all normal behaviour. After viewing all new posts on the board, all topics are in regular text however the forum index still shows the new posts icon. The only way to get the new posts icon to revert to normal is to mark the forum as read.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? It doesn't seem to have coincided with any forum updates or anything.

Also, not sure if this is default behaviour but I've noticed that when a new unregistered user visits the forum for the first time, all the boards are marked as having new posts and the anonymous user would have to mark the forum read.

If anything else is required to help troubleshoot this just let me know.

Thanks,
James
Well, I think page 4 and nearly 50 views is sufficient for me to BUMP this thread. Hope no-one minds Toungue.
Do the forums in question have sub-forums??
Yes and no. It occurs on all the forums regardless of whether they have sub-forums. I'll also add that this is not browser specific either and is happening for all our users. There also seems to be some issue with page views (likely related) not updating properly where a thread with 10 replies might show as having only 2 page views.

I realise that troubleshooting and solving a problem like this one can be tough due the sheer volume of variables at play. Is there anything I can do to provide extra information etc? I've checked out the cookies which seem to be normal but I'm thinking this could be something server-side with the page view issues as well.

Btw - Thanks for the response! Smile
I just checked your site out as a guest and the icons seem to work fine for me. I visit a forum and when I go back to the index page the icon goes off.

However in a forum that has subforums, such as the Programming Language forum, the icon does not go off. This is a known bug and only happens when there are sun forums in a forum.