MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can’t link to avatar in user CP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am able to use an avatar from the default gallery and I have also used an avatar uploaded via the user CP. However when I use an avatar URL I see the following message:

Quote:Please correct the following errors before continuing:

The URL you entered for your avatar does not appear to be valid. Please ensure you enter a valid URL.

I installed myBB 1.6.3 at byethost free hosting so I could learn to use the software before setting it up at my host. I’m wondering if there is some issue at byethost that’s causing the problem. Unfortunately they don’t answer script related questions and I have no idea what’s causing this problem.

As a test I uploaded the same avatar I had previously uploaded via the user CP to my ISP hosting space but still no joy using the URL in CP.

Thank you for your help.
Are you putting a full URL (protocol, host, path) or a relative URL?
(2011-06-30, 07:48 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Are you putting a full URL (protocol, host, path) or a relative URL?
Yes, I'm using the full URL.

I just now used the same avatar URL successfully in this forum which makes me suspect a problem at byethost.
Do you have any plugins installed?
(2011-06-30, 07:58 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any plugins installed?
No, this is a fresh install from just a few days ago.

@All
I’ve made a number of changes in the admin panel. Is there any combination of settings that could disable using an avatar URL?
Since you're using a free host it is possible they have disabled fetching remote files. Can you confirm with them if they have either curl, fsock or php's file functions available to free accounts?
(2011-06-30, 11:44 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Since you're using a free host it is possible they have disabled fetching remote files. Can you confirm with them if they have either curl, fsock or php's file functions available to free accounts?

Vistapanel at Byethost has this notice:
Quote:SMTP / cURL / PHP Sockets are no longer supported on free hosting due to abuse and security reasons, these features are only available on premium hosting. This effects using Google SMTP or any remote SMTP server in your PHP scripts.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

From that we know curl is disabled.

As for fsock support I can either create a support ticket or create an info.php (if I can remember how), upload that to the server and see if it tells me anything. Or is it enough that we know curl is disabled?

EDIT: The General PHP Info screen in Vistapanel confirms that fsockopen is disabled. Based on my limited undersatnding of PHP and what you've said thus far I'm guessing that's why I can't use avatars via a URL. Thanks for your help. Impressive getting replies from a tech for free software. Top notch software and top notch support to boot, can't beat it with a stick!
Since it appears the problem I experienced was caused by the host and not any fault of either the software or myself I'm going to mark this issue solved.

Thank you all for your help.