MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration email going to spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed this happening only recently for no reason.
http://www.flamewarforums.net

I gotta set it to auto-activate because of this.
Does this happen to everyone? If so, your web host was probably blacklisted or something.
Oh, so it is the host not the domain? And yes it does.
Well, if you use your domain for sending out emails, it's possible it was blacklisted as well. But I'd contact your web host first.
Actually it is using my personal email. How can I check if it is blacklisted (and should I change it?)
There are different levels at which your email can be detected as spam. First is the server IP that your host is sending the spam from, if the ip is on the blacklist that the receiving server is using then most probably the connection and mail will be dropped right away. There are a number of different blacklists, you can use mxtoolbox.com to check if the server's ip is on any of the most used ones.

Once the email is accepted by the server, most email systems have their own ways to check if an email is spam, like checking for certain keywords, checking for the proper headers, domainkeys. If users on their system have marked emails from your domain as spam in the past, then it will also take that in to consideration.

So you see there is no simple explanation as to why your email is ending up in spam. Its up to you to ensure that you are using a system that has in the past not been used to send spam, you have to make sure your email does not contain words that might be detected as spam, has all the proper headers, and finally you have to make sure your emails are not considered unsolicitated enough to prompt the users to mark them as spam.

All this beyond the scope of MyBB as mybb simply uses the server's resources to send the email, its then up to the server to handle the email.