MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I vote against ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On MyBB Ideas there’s a button to vote for an idea but not against. I would like to be able to vote both for and against ideas.

And I would like to subscribe to ideas and receive email notices when voting ends or when comments are added.

And can someone tell me how to figure out when voting on an idea ends (before it actually does end)?

Thank you for your help.
The voting never ends. And it makes no sense voting against something because we want to see how many poeple like the idea.
Have you ever seen a Facebook "I don't like this" button? Toungue
I would also like to vote against ideas (some are patently absurd), and to be notified of comments.

But the dev team doesn't put much emphasis on votes.
(2011-07-01, 02:10 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]The voting never ends. And it makes no sense voting against something because we want to see how many poeple like the idea.
Have you ever seen a Facebook "I don't like this" button? Toungue

I've seen a lot of YouTube, Reddit and StackOverflow thumbs or arrow down buttons, and there is a mod that allows downvoting ideas.

There's a clear desire among users to vote down silly ideas, and the dev team could spare itself some time by incorporating downvotes as a metric for idea consideration.
(2011-07-01, 02:10 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]The voting never ends.

Then why is there a Closed link on the MyIdeas page?

Quote:And it makes no sense voting against something because we want to see how many poeple like the idea.

I said I wanted a way to vote both for and against ideas. How would my proposal prevent you from seeing how many people voted for an idea?

Quote:Have you ever seen a Facebook "I don't like this" button? Toungue

Could care less, I don’t use facebook. YMMV Toungue
(2011-07-05, 01:01 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-01, 02:10 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]The voting never ends.

Then why is there a Closed link on the MyIdeas page?
Most of the closed ideas are duplicates but there should be a comment why they were closed.
Voting never ends, the votes are to be considered more of an "expression of interest" rather than a measure of merit either way, hence why there is only a positive vote option.

Either way, the vote count is fairly arbitrary, we will implement a feature with few votes if we feel it would be of significant importance to a particular group of users or it would help us establish a niche.
(2011-07-07, 11:23 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]Voting never ends, the votes are to be considered more of an "expression of interest" rather than a measure of merit either way, hence why there is only a positive vote option.

Either way, the vote count is fairly arbitrary, we will implement a feature with few votes if we feel it would be of significant importance to a particular group of users or it would help us establish a niche.

Thank you for your reply.

I see your point about votes only being a measure of interest. But I’m wondering, if the votes are arbitrary and not a measure of merit, how do you determine which ideas are significant enough to a particular group of users that implementing them might help you establish a niche?

PS: I know you must be busy and getting an answer on this isn’t critical to me so please feel free to pass on it if you like, it’s just a curiosity question.

PS: Thank you for the best forum software on the planet, I mean that sincerely.