MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Has anyone heard about the new US Bill 978?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone read/heard about it? The US government is trying to add a clause to their copyright policy that means you could spend 5 years in jail for "public performances by electronic means" or copyrighted material - including games/music.

This includes YouTube. It could shut down massive channels like Machinima, The yogscast and any other channels that make playthroughs and even show trailers for games.

This is stupid. The reason I bought Portal 2 - I saw a playthrough on YouTube. The reason I bought minecraft - YouTube. The reason I bought Magic: The gathering - you guessed it . YouTube. It's the same for terraria - which I would never have known about if it wasn't for YouTube. The same goes for Battlefield 3 and MW3 - both of Whig I found out about on YouTube. I could make a massive list of YouTube induced game purchases!

Imagine how many less views YouTube will get each day if there are not gaming videos there at all!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230841/st..._jail.html

By my count, 16 of the top 25 most viewed today display video game gameplay. So that's 16/25 (more than half) if youtubes views gone if this bill is passed. Damn USA.

I can understand them blocking music, as people just rip the music. But you can't steal a gamefrom YouTube... The games business gets so mustered advertising from them. IGN wouldn't be able o make video game reviews either. And they are the most respected in the business.
Wow that's stupid. Apparently the bill's being considered primarily because some big industry guy asked for it - which is totally unfair if you ask me.
It is as if the US government think that advertising games for free is a bad thing. Hopefully some game companies will do something - notch has already said he will add something in his ToS so that we can keep making minecraft videos if this does go ahead.

This is pure insanity, it is unbelievable. I mean, I remember when there were laws against people putting music on their MP3 player, but this is just a joke.
No it can't. Fair use is still higher then that.
So basically everyone will just add a fair use Claus to the video descriptions? I think some games companies will just add a clause to their copyright notices expressly allowing videos to be made Toungue
(2011-07-02, 04:51 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]So basically everyone will just add a fair use Claus to the video descriptions? I think some games companies will just add a clause to their copyright notices expressly allowing videos to be made Toungue

That would probably be easier for both sides. I mean videos have become huge with competitive gaming. I mean there are streams running 24/7 of all the large competitive games. Hell Riot games broadcasted their championship on Own3d.tv.
Ah Canada ^^
(2011-07-02, 09:24 PM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Ah Canada ^^

I Luv Canada.
I do a weekly webshow and we stream a whole ton of stuff like videos, trailers, games, etc etc. None of that nonsense up here.
(2011-07-02, 11:10 PM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]I do a weekly webshow and we stream a whole ton of stuff like videos, trailers, games, etc etc. None of that nonsense up here.

If the stream is using US servers the provider may stop you Wink.
Pages: 1 2