MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Members Ramblings General Talk Board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a laid back general discussion forum I'm running. Made lots of changes there, including completely revamping the Portal page to look much better and be valid XHTML. There's no rules as such, freedom of speech and all that. Links in my signature below.
I like the portals.
You should consider working on your forum descriptions - it's nice to have a little fun with it.

I also think you could have thought up a better name (not to offend you, it's just long..)
No offence taken, it's hard to come with a name for MRGTB.com (hence the title to match domain lettering). At one point I used Movie Reviews General Talk Board, which is good! But the forums doesn't only cover movies so seemed pointless.

Don't know why but always have problems on writing forum descriptions. As you can tell. Confused
You should get a better theme and domain.
Its a nice set up and looks very clean. Loads fast and is easy on the eye Smile
Thanks Lee. Shy
(2011-07-04, 05:28 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]You should get a better theme and domain.

I wouldn't change the domain. For starters, I don't think keywords used in a domain name holds much weight anymore on SEO with Google ranking. Also, that domain is about 5 years old now, well matured and trusted by Google, plus it's a .com. I'd be silly to get a new domain and start using that from new all over again.

I'm curious? What do you not like about the theme? My intention was never to stray far away from the default MYBB look, just try and improve on it a little only.

(2011-07-05, 12:01 PM)Gary Bolton Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Lee. Shy
(2011-07-04, 05:28 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]You should get a better theme and domain.

I wouldn't change the domain. For starters, I don't think keywords used in a domain name holds much weight anymore on SEO with Google ranking. Also, that domain is about 5 years old now, well matured and trusted by Google, plus it's a .com. I'd be silly to get a new domain and start using that from new all over again.

I'm curious? What do you not like about the theme? My intention was never to stray far away from the default MYBB look, just try and improve on it a little only.

About the theme, there is nothing wrong. But for a general discussion board, the theme should be attractive, inorder to attract members. Sorry to say, the theme isn't attractive.
Just my opinion though.
To be honest I like the theme, it's nice and simple.
What don't you like about it?
(2011-07-05, 02:28 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]

About the theme, there is nothing wrong. But for a general discussion board, the theme should be attractive, inorder to attract members. Sorry to say, the theme isn't attractive.
Just my opinion though.

(2011-07-06, 12:00 PM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I like the theme, it's nice and simple.

Its simple. That's what i don't like about it.
If it was a webmaster or a support forum, then this theme will be a great choice. But for a General discussion board, people will look for more eye catch designs. That's what i look for too.
(2011-07-06, 12:00 PM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I like the theme, it's nice and simple.
(2011-07-05, 02:28 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]

Just my opinion though.

That was my intention to try and keep things looking pretty simple and easy for reading, but still try and give it a nice looking touch. Fancy themes have never done anything for forums generally speaking, they just add extra unnecessary page loading times. They don't also really help you get members, not from my many years experience involved with forums,. If anything they work against you not getting members because they are not functional enough, look at most Big Boards and see how many fancy themes are used?

(2011-07-06, 12:40 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]

Its simple. That's what i don't like about it.
If it was a webmaster or a support forum, then this theme will be a great choice. But for a General discussion board, people will look for more eye catch designs. That's what i look for too.

I don't really get what you mean by a more "eye catching" theme used for a general discussion forum? I could understand what your getting at if I was running a niche based forum about BMW cars or Horse Racing Breeds e.t.c. A theme to suit the topic at hand.

But how do you justify a theme to suit a General Discussion forum - covering anything? Undecided