MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple Accounts from one IP address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every few days someone from the same IP address joins my forum with a new user name and email address. This person is not spamming (or even posting), there are no links in the profile. I searched the Internet and found no complaints about this IP address being a spammer, but I did find a comment that this IP address is signing up for multiple accounts. So I searched on one of the user names and found this username on a bunch of other forums, all with no posts. And all are MyBB forums.

I didn't check the other user names, but I'm going to guess that this person is signing up for multiple accounts at a lot of MyBB forums and then taking no action. So maybe this person is testing a bot? Exploring weaknesses in the signup process? Doing this for the fun of it? Trying to help MyBB forums have more members?

BTW, MyBB defaults to allowing multiple accounts from the same IP address, as long as some time passes between joins. And so that is how mine is set.

What do you think this person is up to? What are your thoughts about any of this?
Possibly testing a bot. Or the bot is designed for another forum software.

EG: it is built for a forum software that uses "new.php" instead of "newthread.php" that MyBB uses Smile

keep a note of IPs and user names , email IDs AND delete all such accounts..

use a plug-in to detect the multi-registrations from the same IP (eg. A2 detector)

please IGNORE if my response looks like a crap Smile