MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB has amazed me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With it's ease of use and clever solutions.

Firsly, one huge shout out to the merge system team. The merge system is absolutely fantastic. I can happily report that it works -exactly- as it says on the can. Not only did it convert two -large- forum databases for me, it also merged them together in a very very clever way. Bravo!

Secondly: MyBB as a whole. We were coming from IPB and SMF. MyBB is what SMF would be if it was more professional, like IPB. MyBB is what IPB would be if it was free, like SMF. In short, MyBB is professional, usable and easy to customize.

One last thing. The theme / template system rocks!

If I have one suggestion, it may be to document the variable system in an easier to Google / read way.

TL;DR: Much luv.
Quote:document the variable system in an easier to Google / read way
could you elaborate it please...
Sure, I don't see why not.

The only variable "dictionary" I can find is here:

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Authoring...#Variables

A list of the common variables that work with the default theme would go a long way. Even better if they were described as in the link I just posted (or described even better). Even better if it was easy to find this by googling it. I do realize that there are a lot of variables, and not all of them work with all themes, but if I want to look one up, chances are I'm basing my theme off of the default theme.

But please. It's not a huge issue for me. I have been able to ad-hoc my way around in the system after a little fiddling and looking. Smile
I pretty much feel the same and why I moved to MyBB years ago. Went through them all and I'm completely happy with MyBB vs any other forum software.

Software can always improve but the concept of MyBB is the attractive feature for me. They are not trying to be more than forum software. They focus on keeping it simple yet feature rich. It's imho the most intuitive forum software and that includes going against paid forums like VB or IPB.
(2011-07-05, 09:04 AM)Norodo Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I don't see why not.

The only variable "dictionary" I can find is here:

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Authoring...#Variables

A list of the common variables that work with the default theme would go a long way. Even better if they were described as in the link I just posted (or described even better). Even better if it was easy to find this by googling it. I do realize that there are a lot of variables, and not all of them work with all themes, but if I want to look one up, chances are I'm basing my theme off of the default theme.

But please. It's not a huge issue for me. I have been able to ad-hoc my way around in the system after a little fiddling and looking. Smile
I definitely agree with you. I do love MyBB, but I think there needs to be better documentation, especially for creating plugins. There's maybe a few pages on developing plugins [that i know of?], and the rest you pretty much have to figure out by looking at plugins already created that do something you want to do and ripping the code from them.
You're not the only one that MyBB has amazed. I enjoy how user friendly MyBB is and how easy it is to create a theme for it. I've used almost all forum softwares in the past ranging from phpbb, smf, vbulletin, ipb and fluxbb. MyBB is by far one of the best I've encountered. Sadly I only stumbled across it just recently.

Though it made me go through each and every one of my websites and convert them over to MyBB.
Never thought I would say this , but I agree 100%. More stable , reliable , and more secure. It's even better than vBulletin in my opinion. It's also , a lot easier.
(2011-07-10, 08:22 PM)koz Wrote: [ -> ]I've used almost all forum softwares in the past ranging from phpbb, smf, vbulletin, ipb and fluxbb.

Yup. We've been on quite a few different kinds of software as well. SMF is definitely a powerful package, but it can be tedious with the way it handles themes / modifications. Modifications modifying core templates / files is just a horrid way of handling stuff. In addition the development of SMF 2 has been a dreary and endless thing, and now that it's finally in v2, there doesn't even really seem to be anything on the horizon. With MyBB it seems there is a much more activity, and there's a core plan for where it's going and where it is.