MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the current recommended practice for automatic database backups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to use the Task Manager to schedule a daily backup, but when trying to enable the task, I got this error message:

WARNING: You are about to enable a task that is only meant to be run via a cron (Please see the MyBB Wiki for more information). Continue?

The link to the wiki doesn't point to any specific page, and there isn't any page on scheduled backups, as far I can see.

The issue has been raised in 2008 for MyBB 1.4 here, without a clear resolution. Have there been any updates?
Personally , I don't use MyBB Database backups.. Yes , it's useful if you're probably going to have database malfunctions and such , but use your webhost's backup. You can backup your emails , home directory , and your MySQL Databases. It's more recommended , because it's possible for anyone to mess up on their site also , not only their database.
You can run it as a normal task if you want, but it might slow down the board when it's running as it could take a while to complete. If you have a big board, it's probably better to use a cron, if not, the task should be fine. If you have it running as a task but notice the board is slow when the backup task is running, then try it as a cron.
Thanks Matt! I created a section on the wiki:
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Admin_CP_...ackup_Task