MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Display Names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It'd be good if you allow 3 options for allowing both, email or username.
(2011-07-11, 02:11 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be good if you allow 3 options for allowing both, email or username.

Indeed, some users might not know how the forum is configured. We should be able to spare them the trouble of finding out and allow both methods to be used simultaneously.
The problem with using both is the decision of which takes precedence. If someones username is the email of another user, who gets to log in? Does that user have to use their email, or does the other user have to use their username?
Prevent using @ in usernames?
Don't allow emails that are already used as usernames and vice versa?

Surely it's quite simple to do either of those?
I'm just going to pop in and say a possible fault with using emails as login names is in the situations where users may have more than one account using the same email. While this would primarily be an issue on role-play sites where an account-per-character system may be set up, it would still be there.

However, if it will be an option in the ACP to choose whether a forum uses emails, usernames, or both to login if this feature is implemented, I'm in full support, just as long as it won't restrict using the same email seeing making dummy emails for multiple accounts would get tiresome xD

I do definitely prefer a no display name system however. I see it as easier on the member search seeing members are identified by one name, not a possible two, and you tend to be less likely to get uncouth usernames if they also double as a display name.

Lol, plus if you leave a forum for an extended time and come back, you just need to look at your old account to see which name you used as a login |D;
I know I for one have gotten:

"That E-Mail address is already associated with another username"

when registering, so it wouldn't be that bad of an option to implement either, if it isn't already.
Pages: 1 2 3