MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best Way to Group Users w/ No Logon In X Timeframe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to blow away deadbeat members, to keep things clean. The Find Users and Group Promotions functions in the ACP do not provide for anything based on last login time. This would certainly be a great enhancement for a future release, but I need something to help with this now. I know there is a plugin called "Prune Members", which allows for automatic user pruning based on certain criteria, but unfortunately, last login date is not one of them.

I took a look at the mybb_users table, thinking I could dump that to a spreadsheet, sort based on this column, and then identify users that way, in order to manually email them a warning that they would be deleted in X days if they did not sign into the site, etc... But unfortunately, the values in the "lastactive" and "lastvisit" columns are not recorded in an intuitive format, so they mean nothing to me when I look at them in my spreadsheet. Does anyone know what the deal is, with the values in these columns, and if there is any way for me to turn them into something usable? I would need to filter my spreadsheet to show users with, for example, zero posts, who have not signed in within the past 6 months... As it is now, the only option I can come up with is to view the user list in ACP, where I cannot sort on this value, so it would be a painstaking process.

Anyway, I would like an enhancement to the Group Promotions page, allowing promotions based on # days since last logged in... And an enhancement to the Find Users page, allowing users to be searched based on # days since last logged in.

For now though, any recommendations on how I can accomplish what I need to do? This has to be a very common thing for admins to want to do, but I can't seem to find any posts on it. Easily identify users with X number of posts, who have not logged in since X date, so I can send them an email and possibly delete them.

phpBB does it like this, and it was always very useful to me:
[attachment=23303]

Thank you!
Go to Admin CP > Configuration > Settings > User Pruning. Please note User Pruning is a task, which is ran every 2 hours by default. If you'd like to run it on a certain moment, go to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Task Manager. Then run the User Pruning task by clicking the small alarm icon next to it.

If you'd like to have more control over the criteria used to prune users, you'll need to run some SQL queries.
I would look into the Forum Cleaner plugin. Not only does it do users, it also handle many more items to help keep your setup as trim as possible
Thanks! I had downloaded Forum Cleaner, but never installed it. Just installed it, and like the orphaned avatar feature... But I am looking for something more "kind" when it comes to the inactive user deletions... Where I can run it to identify the target users to be deleted, and then send them a message letting them know they will be deleted if they don't sign into the site within X days. Then I could run it again, and actually delete them. Or, if Forum Cleaner could build in an email feature, where it could send the inactive users a configurable message about signing in to avoid deletion, that would be excellent. Then, the next time Forum Cleaner ran, it could reassess things.

So what I am looking for is less abrupt, because I want the users to get notice before I blow them away. In most cases it won't make any difference, but still, I would like to be more "human" about it. Smile
You'd need a plugin for that.
(2011-07-07, 09:17 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]You'd need a plugin for that.

Know of anything like this? I sure haven't found anything out there. I'm surprised that I can't even do this in a manual way, by dumping to spreadsheet. Anything that keeps me from having to actually look at each user account and write down which ones should be emailed/deleted.