MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Open file from html
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I this possible? And if so, how?

I've set up a small file server in my home network and now I have a webpage on that server with a list of certain programs stored on it. Unfortunately the disk space on that server is not large enough to store all files on the same drive as the htdocs so linking to the files is impossible. I know I can change the docs folder, but then I can't access other things in that folder. All files on the server are also accessible via explorer by writing \\SERVER\folder\file.exe or similar in the adress bar.

But it's easier to set up that page so people can see what files are new and a link under it where they can find it. something like
<a href="\\SERVER\folder\file.exe">click here</a>
so the file is opened automatically if you click that link. A bit like the shortcut links in the windows help files (they're htm too).
Is there any way of doing this?

Or maybe I can write the address to the file and that it's automatically copied to the clipboard if you click it (or a button) and then you should click start and run and paste it there. But i prefer a direct link.
Possible?

thx in advance
Have you tired href="file:///filename_here". I know this works in css anyways.
i've tried that, but what do you mean with "it works in css anyways". I just wrote it as a normal link.
Well I mean I've seen people use it in css for background and so on so I thought maybe it'd work in html aswell.
Why would you use a file:// background unless you're making the site for yourself o.o
have same result