MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Submit Registration" button may get pushed down after validating CAPTCHA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've filed this as issue 1640, which has been deleted. Whoever deleted that issue, instead of asking for clarification, did a really grape thing.

So here's the bug. Look at this screenshot of the registration page:

[attachment=23331]

You can see there's enough space here for the CAPTCHA success message to be displayed, because the TD to the right is higher.

But if there are enough required Custom Profile Fields to be filled in (2 will do), they'll be displayed in this TD on the left, and it will extend lower than the TD to the right:

[attachment=23332]

In that case, after the CAPTCHA text input field loses focus, the CAPTCHA validation message ("The image verification code you entered was correct.") will be displayed right beneath the input field. You can see from the second screenshot that there's not enough space to do that, without pushing the rest of the forum elements down. That includes the Submit Registration button. The CAPTCHA input text field can lose focus by the user clicking somewhere else, and most often they'll click on the Submit Registration button... exactly as it's pushed down. This will make the first click on it fail. The user will have to click it again.

This screencast illustrates that problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl2eZ37UaMg

Matt Rogowski]
So you're saying you physically can't click the button?? Because I've registered on possibly hundreds of forums and got this message come up, and still been able to click it, and I don't think a single user has ever posted on the community forums that this happens to them. There's no reason that message should mean the button becomes unclickable.
[/quote]

No, I'm not saying I can't physically click the button. I took the time to record a screencast with a voiceover, explaining exactly what happens. The hundreds of forums you registered on didn't have required custom profile fields, which is why the bug was not visible to you.

Anyway, forget the screencast. Look at the template code in member_register_regimage. You can see that the last TR has a TD with display:none:

<tr>
	<td id="imagestring_status"  style="display: none;" colspan="2">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>

That TD (#imagestring_status) will be populated with the CAPTCHA validation message (The image verification code you entered was correct."). This will increase the height of the TR, and the height of the entire left column in the screenshot above. If the left column was taller than the right column, then the Submit Registration button will be pushed down, as the screencast demonstrates.

[quote="Stefan T. Wrote:
I don't think there is an easy way to improve this.
Of course there is, and it's trivial. We only need to pre-allocate the vertical space for the TR that displays the CAPTCHA validation string. One line changed. See attached patch. For existing installations, edit the Member template member_register_regimage and change the last <tr> to <tr style="height: 2em;">.

Why do I have to record a bloody video, file an issue, have it deleted, then have to re-explain it on the forum, wasting hours in the process, when you could have just accepted the ONE LINE patch I sent?
I think I misunderstood the problem.
(2011-07-10, 08:23 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]I've filed this as issue 1640, which has been deleted. Whoever deleted that issue, instead of asking for clarification, did a really grape thing.

I'm sure whoever did delete it did so by mistake. It's very harsh calling them a grape for doing that.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to detect who deleted it or recover the issue: Redmine has no functionality for that. If you would like to recreate your issue on the development tracker and we'll take a look at the changes that are needed.

Please bear in mind that any issue that is not currently assigned to 1.6.4 won't be fixed in the next maintenance release. 1.6.4 is issue-locked and is reserved only for developer training and security issues.
I can confirm this behaviour on my board too. I also have more profile fields to be filled in at registration. The first click on "submit registration" moves the button lower and the mouse of the user hovers above empty space.

What has always bugged me though is that the user has to click the "submit registration" button twice. This really irritates many users because they expect that "submit registration" means "submit registration and move on" and not "validate captcha and then click again for the real submission".
This would be a real improvement to the registration process.
(2011-07-11, 02:17 PM)atnun Wrote: [ -> ]What has always bugged me though is that the user has to click the "submit registration" button twice. This really irritates many users because they expect that "submit registration" means "submit registration and move on" and not "validate captcha and then click again for the real submission".
That's not easy to fix because it is how the validation works. Applying the patch above wouldn't change it.
(2011-07-11, 02:27 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Applying the patch above wouldn't change it.

I know. I just thought I would throw this in as a suggestion while we are talking about the registration page Wink

As I said: the behaviour of the button is exactly as dandv described it (can be seen in the video he linked) but if it wasn't necessary to click on the button for a second time nobody would notice that's why I threw that in Wink
(2011-07-10, 08:23 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]I've filed this as issue 1640, which has been deleted. Whoever deleted that issue, instead of asking for clarification, did a really grape thing.

It's slightly ironic that you're calling someone a grape because you didn't get clarification on where the ticket went, before you've given anybody a chance to clarify where the ticket went. We don't delete issues, don't jump to conclusions.

Now that I look at it again I can see the problem... personally I'd set a slight delay on the blur event so it processes the click of the submit button before it runs the code that ends up pushing the button down.
(2011-07-11, 08:16 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm sure whoever did delete it did so by mistake. It's very harsh calling them a grape for doing that.

One of my mottoes in debates and conversations is "Attack the problem, not the person".

@Matt too: I specifically said it was a "grape thing" to do; I didn't say anything about the person. Please pay attention and read carefully.

Also, if Redmine doesn't have a way to undelete tickets as Tomm says, then it does have a confirmation for deleting them, so it's a bit hard to delete tickets by mistake.

Anyway.

(2011-07-11, 02:27 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-11, 02:17 PM)atnun Wrote: [ -> ]What has always bugged me though is that the user has to click the "submit registration" button twice. This really irritates many users because they expect that "submit registration" means "submit registration and move on" and not "validate captcha and then click again for the real submission".
That's not easy to fix because it is how the validation works. Applying the patch above wouldn't change it.

What exactly do you mean by "That's not easy to fix because it is how the validation works."? Again, can you be more precise about "it is how validation works"?

(2011-07-11, 02:27 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Applying the patch above wouldn't change it.

Really. Why then does it work on my board? Here's the registration link.

Atnun, did you try the patch in my first post?
Now you are the one who didn't read everything carefully.
Try not to be so aggressive in your tone and maybe you will achieve more Wink

In my post I wrote two things:
1) I confirmed the behaviour you described
2) I described something else

So what Stefan meant when he wrote
Quote:That's not easy to fix because it is how the validation works. Applying the patch above wouldn't change it.
was that your fix won't help in the second thing I described. He didn't mean your problem.

Remember: these guys are coding a cool software for us to use in their spare time. There's no reason to be so upset Smile
(2011-07-11, 11:08 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-11, 08:16 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]

One of my mottoes in debates and conversations is "Attack the problem, not the person".

@Matt too: I specifically said it was a "grape thing" to do; I didn't say anything about the person. Please pay attention and read carefully.

Stating that a person does grape things implies that they are a grape, hence them doing those things.
Pages: 1 2