MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remote Access to Network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I thought this might be the best place to ask as many people might know how to do this or could provide me with some information on how to go about it.

I am setting up a network with some Laptops, Printers and a NAS in a business in Queensland, Australia on Thursday for a business my Dad is sub-contracted to. I live in Victoria, Australia.

How do I go about having remote control access to the Router and Network? The office will have a static IP internet connection. I will be able to access the NAS via remote, as it has this feature. However, i am not sure about the Router.... i see in its specifications, it has something about remote management, but I am not sure how i go about it. The router is a Netcomm 3G15WN.

If anyone could provide me with any information on how to do remote management, that would be fantastic! +1 Rep for those who do Big Grin

Thanks,
Cohen
Well, if you want access to the NAS you'll need to port forward. Basically if the NAS's management interface is port 5000, then set up a port forward to send all traffic on port 5000 to the NAS's IP

http://portforward.com/english/routers/p...efault.htm
This is for the 3G9WB, but I assume it's the same Smile

Most routers have some sort of remote management facility, is it not in the manual?
I didn't think about the Port Forwarding. Thanks for reminding me. Well, that is fine for accessing the NAS remotely. However, how do i go about accessing a printer or the router CP remotely? Is there anyway i could do that?

Also, that link won't work for this unit as it has a different admin panel, but I will refer to the manual if need be.

I don't have the unit with me at the moment, it is at home in Victoria, i am in Queensland on holiday (fly home tomorrow) and flying up on Thursday to put in the network equipment, so i cannot refer the manual at all, and no doubt i would be posting here anyway to have some questions answered.....

Hopefully that all makes sense :s
Is there not a manual online? Smile
Setup a VPN. You login to it and your PC will act as though it is on the network so you can go to 192.168.*.* like you were plugged into thier network.

I have my router flashed with the DD-WRT firmware and it comes with a built in VPN server that I use to login to my network. It's a life saver! If you don't have a router or device with VPN abilities you can install ClearOS on an extra PC/server which support multiple VPN protocols (PPTP is the easiest but IPSec is the most secure).

VPN is much more secure than port forwarding also. My advice is disable remote access to your devices unless it's a secure connection like SSH (I allow web and FTP access to my NAS and router from my internal network but SSH is enabled for both outside of my network though).
Not one that i can find quality - I have a slowish internet connection at the moment.

I'll take a look when i return home tomorrow and let you know what i find.

Edit - VPN! Fantastic! I'll see if i can set that up, that might be just what i need. As for the Port Forwarding thing. I want it so i can access the Files on the NAS, so i will be setting that up anyway Toungue.
That router doesn't seem to have a remote access feature anyway Smile
I use my VPN to access my NAS files remotely (both FTP and NFS). Speeds are pretty much the same for FTP directly versus FTP over VPN but the security is much better and I've never had any bruteforce attempts against my VPN but I get dozens a day when I leave my FTP open to the public.
a VPN is the best option. I've been heavely using VPN since about november, its great.
(2011-07-11, 10:08 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]That router doesn't seem to have a remote access feature anyway Smile

Alright thanks.

(2011-07-11, 09:16 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]a VPN is the best option. I've been heavely using VPN since about november, its great.

I'll give that a try Smile. Thanks Smile