MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Archiving MyBB 1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You haven't made a blog announcement about this, and I think I'm not the only one who believes you're making a mistake. Some of us haven't made the switch to 1.6 yet. Some are content with 1.4 for the time being. I can say with confidence a fair chunk of your software's users are still on 1.4. In the meantime until I make the switch now I can't get any support.

I've been reluctant to upgrade to 1.6 and have admittedly put it off a little because of fears of plugin and theme incompatibilities. Whilst it is true that I can still ask questions in the plugin/theme forums, some of the developers of the themes/plugins can't be reached. I have now had the opportunity to set up a dummy forum so I can test porting over all of my plugins/themes and performing an upgrade.

I do however have a lot on my plate recently and have decided not to upgrade it until mid-August, a month away. If anything happens in the meantime—and I already have one bug to report that might even be present in 1.6 (but I guess I can't post in 1.6 forums in case it isn't)—if anything happens I can't fix, there's nothing I can do.

I realise that isn't your problem. It's mine. But there are plenty of helpful users who aren't members of the forum team who have been excellent in providing support. I'm sure some of these members would have been glad to continue helping 1.4 users. All I'm saying is that I think you archived the forum prematurely. 2.0 is light years away so I think you should have continued support until at least partway into Q4 2011.

Just my musings, nothing more.
1.6 was released almost a year ago, which should be plenty of time to make the very minor changes plugins and themes need to be compatible. With most plugins, you just have to change a 4 to a 6 in the compatibility section. For most themes, you just have to revert a few templates to default and add a few CSS classes. It's not like anything is going to have to be rewritten. We can help you with upgrading but it's not as painful as I think you think it will be. 1.4 support slowed down to about 1-3 threads a day, sometimes less, so I'm fairly sure support for it wasn't really in high demand.
Just to make it clear:

We will gladly provide support for upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 if you experience any problems while upgrading.

If you keep a backup of your files and database you can also easily roll back if you need to, not that we encourage you to use a version that is no-longer supported.

It's definitely not too late to upgrade, and all the posts from the 1.4 forum are still available in the archive section.