MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dual .htaccess Conflicts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again,
In the past I have run accross the problem of conflicting .htaccess files when installing a forum into a directory rather than a sub-domain. you see, the .htaccess that already resided in the root had a simple 404 write, a 301 redirect, and so forth ... and for some reason the new .htaccess file that came along with the forum files was causing 404's, dual urls's, and a mess of other strange happening.

My questions are these:

Is there an imediate need for the MYBB .htaccess file? and if so, is there a way I can write something in the file that will announce it's strictly for MYBB?

My objective is to not have the MYBB htaccess file conflict with my existing root .htaccess file whatsoever.

Thanks again
if you do not need SEF links then there is no need for .htaccess

if you post the content of the earlier .htaccess and the new .htaccess then
someone will be able to suggest a better .htaccess which you can safely use

(2011-07-12, 08:27 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]if you do not need SEF links then there is no need for .htaccess

if you post the content of the earlier .htaccess and the new .htaccess then
someone will be able to suggest a better .htaccess which you can safely use

Here is my current .htaccess file:

ErrorDocument 404 /404.html

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domainname.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.domainname.com/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,9}\ /.*index\.html\ HTTP/
RewriteRule ^(.*)index\.html$ /$1 [R=301,L]

and oddly there are what looks like 2 diferrent htaccess files in the 'forum' folder to which MYBB was installed via QuickInstall from Hostgator CPanel. The first is named .htaccess and is as follows:

RewriteEngine off
<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/name/public_html/forum/php.ini
<Files php.ini>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

While the second one is named htaccess.txt and is as follows:

Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#

# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.

# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on

# MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server

# errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below

#

<IfModule mod_security.c>

# Turn off mod_security filtering.

SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.

SecFilterScanPOST Off

</IfModule>

#

# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites

# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have

# the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file

# named .htaccess

#

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+)\.html$ announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+)\.html$ member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=yearview&calendar=$1&year=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)-day-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3&day=$4 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-week-(n?[0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=weekview&calendar=$1&week=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^event-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=event&eid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>

SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

#

# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support

# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to

# the client faster.

#

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript text/css text/html text/xml

</IfModule>

To clarify, I would off course like the forum links to be SE 'friendly' in that I would like them to be searchable and have basic SEO, but not to the point where the forum is going to be used to gain super SERP's or anything. This is simply a forum on an exsiting Website.

Thank you
Can someone please tell if there is any harm in just deleting both .htaccess and htaccess.txt?