MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Confused About Basic MyBB Forum Creation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so I thought my questions would be limited in regard to my new journey with MyBB, but I'm finding the interface a bit confusing compared to others I have worked with before. In laymans terms, can someone please tell how to go about creating a 'section' that is visible from the homepage, then within that 'section' is where people can add newthreads. I don't understand the wording like 'child' 'sub' 'forum' 'category' etc ..

Just like a normal forum or message board you find anywhere online .. I want let's say ... a Spam area named 'Post spam Here'. Viewers can then click on that link which simply takes them to the threads of that section. Just really plain ole' message board style.

Thanks
Admin CP -> Forums & Posts

Click on "Add new forum" tab

In the "Forum type" there will be two options, A forum and a Category.

Category is the one that holds multiple forums.
A forum is the one you said as section, which will hold multiple topics.
A subforum is a forum inside a forum.

A forum is child of category, and sub-forum is child of forum.

category
|
|
Forum
|
|
Sub-Forum

Hope that clears your doubt.

And as far as i tried, MyBB's admin panel is much easier than any other.
(2011-07-13, 03:31 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Admin CP -> Forums & Posts

Click on "Add new forum" tab

In the "Forum type" there will be two options, A forum and a Category.

Category is the one that holds multiple forums.
A forum is the one you said as section, which will hold multiple topics.
A subforum is a forum inside a forum.

A forum is child of category, and sub-forum is child of forum.

category
|
|
Forum
|
|
Sub-Forum

Hope that clears your doubt.

And as far as i tried, MyBB's admin panel is much easier than any other.

Thank you for the response, but I must be missing something here because if I try to create a Forum, I get the error:

The following errors were encountered:
•You must select a parent forum.

To give you an example of what i'm after, I just grabbed this link:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

When you click on any of the links in the Web Hosting Main Forums, you are taken to the threads for that section, plain and simple.
First you need to create a category. Because as i said, Forums are child of category, and no child can exist without a parent, isn't it.

Lets consider the Webhostingtalk.com example.

There The thing, "Web Hosting Main Forums" with that blue background is a category.

The things named "Web Hosting", "Dedicated Server" etc are forums.

You first need to create a category and then put forums in it. And when you create Forums, choose the category you created in "Parent Forum" dropdown.
(2011-07-13, 04:26 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]First you need to create a category. Because as i said, Forums are child of category, and no child can exist without a parent, isn't it.

Lets consider the Webhostingtalk.com example.

There The thing, "Web Hosting Main Forums" with that blue background is a category.

The things named "Web Hosting", "Dedicated Server" etc are forums.

You first need to create a category and then put forums in it. And when you create Forums, choose the category you created in "Parent Forum" dropdown.

Got it all figured out now. Thank you so much for your patience.