MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: visible rep, negative rep and user cleanup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Three things that would help me out would be:

show who has given rep to a post at the bottom of the post like vbulletin shows 'thanks'

change user group based on minus rep. SO if a user gets say -5 they get banned. Handy if theres no mods about

a promotion based on user activity. so a user could have a usergroup removed if they dont post in 30 days etc (I know some think this would be a negative to a site but for my site it would be fantastic)
I don't think it would be a good idea to demote/ban a user based on negative rep.

What if five people just give some genuine guy, negative reps?
(2011-07-13, 04:45 PM)Karlitosway Wrote: [ -> ]change user group based on minus rep. SO if a user gets say -5 they get banned. Handy if theres no mods about

Yeah that won't be open to abuse, giving people the ability to ban people just by giving them some negative reps...
would take a lot of users as they can only give 1 rep point to the same user in 24 hours on my site and so far hasn't been abused at all because they would only get banned themselves for abusing it.
Well yeah, you could ban people if they do it, but that wouldn't stop people grouping together and giving negative reps to people to ban them whilst you're not online to stop it.
I've given negative reps to people plenty of times, but most of the time when I do that it's not because I think they deserve a ban. I see this causing more harm than good.
(2011-07-14, 06:33 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Well yeah, you could ban people if they do it, but that wouldn't stop people grouping together and giving negative reps to people to ban them whilst you're not online to stop it.

thats the exact point of it though, someone decides to act the orange and the users can, as a collective, give said dickhead a temp ban. (It only stops them from posting, doesn't delete or anything)

I agree it may not be for everyone but a small tweak to the current promotion system is all that would be needed and sure people dont havre to use it if they dont want. It works in vbulletin from the sites I have seen but if you dont like the idea I can live without.
I still don't think its a good idea. Consider if some bad guys gives negative rep to a good guy, and he got banned. Even when he is unbanned later, he wont probably come again. Personally, i won't go back to a forum which banned me for no reason.
You will loose valuable members through it. Some rare admins will only want to have this, so it better suits as a plugin.