MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: virus in the forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was using mybb from long back but never had a problem.this has happened few days back and few bots are posting spam in my forum.i used to clean by deleting threads but never looked under the whole forum.

here is the problem
Whenever i used to search a member in admin panel it takes to malicious page.I asked to other person even he said when he tried to log in it takes to malware site.
I upgraded to latest version but the problem still exists.what shall i do in this situation.
I am thinking to install a fresh copy and dump the data into it.

Url to my forum dripworld.com/forums
is their any one here to help ?
I am sorry i am not willing to access the forum url after what you have stated but i would agree here do you have a backup of the database and users before the malware started? if yes to this question then i would suggest delete all traces of mybb from your hosting then restore a fresh new copy of mybb and restore your database and users if after doing this you have the same problem speak to your webhost and ask them to scan your account and there server for malware as your having the problem

Also before doing above i recommend you run spybot Search and destroy and ur system and all people do the same on theres to whomever has admin access . as normally malware is on the users computer as a general rule not on the hosts server though sometimes it can be
(2011-07-14, 05:06 PM)suresh Wrote: [ -> ]I was using mybb from long back but never had a problem.this has happened few days back and few bots are posting spam in my forum.i used to clean by deleting threads but never looked under the whole forum.

here is the problem
Whenever i used to search a member in admin panel it takes to malicious page.I asked to other person even he said when he tried to log in it takes to malware site.
I upgraded to latest version but the problem still exists.what shall i do in this situation.
I am thinking to install a fresh copy and dump the data into it.

Url to my forum dripworld.com/forums
is their any one here to help ?

Look in your cPanel. Some have a thing that will scan for virues in your Database and files.
A virus total scan on your forum, doesn't bring any alerts. Are you sure your forum has malware?

And can you share the malware URL? Enclose it in CODE tag, so that people won't get affected by clicking it.
the forum just redirecting to another site whenever i search members in the admin panel and then the site scans on my pc.This did not happened never and i had the old database will do restore it.I contacted to the host but waiting for the reply.
I see in phpmyadmin the database size is 18 MB for a 27 posts with 100 members.This gives me their something wrong in the database too.27 posts has been covered around 16 mb just the screen shot below
[Image: 84376094.jpg]

i had fixed the problem by deleting that table and importing it again.
Can somebody tell me why does the site is redirecting only this is happening whenever i search in the forum and it is only sometimes not all the time.I am getting irritation of this since i couldnot find a problem at all.
I used several antivirus programs and removed whatever they detected.
A thread here where i am using this host http://www.up4.net/forum/4-community-sup...art=24#780
May i know what's your MyBB version?

Also, they might have gained your admin account, and inserted a redirect script in search templates.
The version was latest 1.6.3 as i upgraded and still problem exists.It looks like someone was playing with the tricks.I am looking to change the host and reinstall a fresh copy.Then i will post back here soon.
This is happening only for few minutes and then it is working perfect cant getting where the problem exists.
Are you sure the spyware/malware is not in your computer? I doubt malware would affect a forum the way you are describing but I can look at it if you want. For tat you will need to PM me your admincp login details so I can check it out on my system.
I have forgot to see your reply otherwise i could have given my username and password.I found some Javascript files in the server so he may be playing with my site.i switched to another host and now i dont have problems.