MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Who else hates writing documentation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The thing I hate most about releasing an application to the public is writing the documentation to go with it. Especially considering my application is a library used in other apps. Im having to write a wiki on every function XD

You often take for granted how easy you find the simplest task (such as actually referencing/including the library in other code) when you have to write it in the simplest terms possible Toungue

I even have a page describing what an initialisation vector is in TripleDES encryption Toungue which is VERY hard to explain in simple terms (considering I don't fully understand the mechanics myself Big Grin)

Also, why on earth do wiki's have to have stupid syntax... -_-
I hate this too. Sad

Even though I only released a few (very small) plugins, it's soooo boring. They didn't really need in-depth documentation, but I'm seriously obsessed with organization and I like to make sure everything is ok. Good luck writing that wiki!
Nobody read those documentations anyway, so don't bother writing it at all. Toungue

* r00t3r slaps Tom K. around a bit with a large trout.
Use dokuwiki then?

>Nobody read those documentations anyway, so don't bother writing it at all.

This is horrible advice.
(2011-07-15, 12:09 AM)r00t3r Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody read those documentations anyway, so don't bother writing it at all. Toungue

I'm pretty sure it's for a paid software so it's probably best to have documentation.
(2011-07-15, 12:09 AM)r00t3r Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody read those documentations anyway, so don't bother writing it at all. Toungue

Yes, they do.
I read the documentation when I feel I have to, so thank you to those who write all that stuff Big Grin

Thats isn't true Toungue

The software in question is a class library, with many functions. Although the functions are well commented, most people will quickly scan the wiki for help.
I said yes, pretty much all the stuff I make and release I'm relatively proud of, and documenting my own work so someone (maybe not as knowledgeable Big Grin) can use it makes me feel good. ^^