MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: jQuery Dropdown Menus and Tabs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
By this I mean, in posts we should allow the user to click on the username and find:
  • Private Message
  • Visitor Message
  • Their Profile
  • Their Website
This also applies to PMs...
I just hate it when I might make my buttons 100x30 and if you have all of the postbits, it might go to another line, which to me is ugly...
(would be nice of there was jQuery animations for dropdowns)

Also, there are tabs...

They should also use jQuery animation...

At the top of the page, there should be tabs such as:
  • My Profile
  • User CP
  • Forums
  • Portal/Home
This would make browsing easier n one page other then loading another page, plus it adds a nice feature, perhaps add this to the profiles too?

Thanks, but I would like this to built into the system Jason...
(2011-07-15, 07:53 PM)Wes the Bes Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, but I would like this to built into the system Jason...

Well, when it comes out I'm sure it can take 5 seconds for you to look at the source code of that plugin and add it as a feature to the system if they dont already Wink.
The idea is good but it's not something that should be in a default theme. The default should be a no-frills theme so that the extra enhancements can be added.
Use JavaScript where it improves usability, not makes things look pretty. I'm starting to develop a hatred towards JS in general >.>
Not a bad idea. jQuery is in fact integrated with Yii, so that's always a good sign.
(2011-07-15, 08:44 PM)Ferron Wrote: [ -> ]The idea is good but it's not something that should be in a default theme. The default should be a no-frills theme so that the extra enhancements can be added.

And what about all the competitors ( Other software ) that IS using it? Hate breaking it to a few but stuff like this IS gonna have to be added if MYBB is to remain competitive in the forum software market. People see a theme that looks or works like something from 2002 ( Decade old ) they will keep moving along.
Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean everyone wants it. There are still people out there who would rather start with a more basic site and build it up. And, I would say the success of projects like ModX and Drupal show this very well.

MyBB doesn't have to compete by coping what others do. It can be an alternative of something the others don't do and that's stay simple and clean.
From memory, the 2.0 default theme does not include jQuery dropdown menus.

(2011-07-16, 03:26 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Use JavaScript where it improves usability, not makes things look pretty.

Absolutely. And there must be a fallback for non-JavaScript users. We're using tabs in a few places to improve usability but I don't think they're jQuery powered.

There are places in 2.0 where we use the CSS dropdown. Much nicer alternative to JavaScript IMO.
Pages: 1 2