MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HTML5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2011-07-23, 09:17 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]We'll be loading 2.0 with every possible HTML 5 tag ever invented. It will make IE be sick just at the thought of loading your forum.

j/k

edit: nvm didnt see the joke...
(2011-07-16, 01:50 AM)Sama34 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it will be a good idea, HTML5 is not even finished yet and we don't know how much it will take to be.

Besides, anyone can make a HTML5 compatible theme after it is complete if they need it.

Different parts of the specification are at different maturity levels. Some sections are already relatively stable and there are implementations that are already quite close to completion, and those features can be used today (e.g. <canvas>).

Source: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#When_wil...inished.3F
^stable doesn´t means it will not change in a near future if they think a change is necessary.

We don´t even know how much time will it take to html5 to be complete, it can be far after mybb 2.0 is out.
It's not about HTML5 being ready in 2-3 years or not (which it won't, however it will be much more mature), but because imo it's a good idea in a long-term situation.

I think it's pretty much settled that HTML5 won't be used, which is fine honestly. MyBB 2.0 won't use tables for layouts, so that's already a win for me! Toungue And surely someone will be kind enough to make a HTML5-compliant version of the theme.
If you guys have looked at twig. It's going to be pretty easy to make things HTML5 Wink.
(2011-08-08, 08:48 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 won't use tables for layouts, so that's already a win for me! Toungue

I hope that you won't remove tables where they are ok. Tables are for tabular data... and the forums list, threads list etc. with the Last Post columns etc. are definitely tabular data.
You can definitely start using some features of HTML5 without worry, like the shortened DOCTYPE, stylesheet, and UTF-8 declarations. Honestly, HTML5 is ready to be used and pushed for with full force; holding back now is a dumb move in my opinion.
(2011-08-09, 06:30 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]You can definitely start using some features of HTML5 without worry, like the shortened DOCTYPE, stylesheet, and UTF-8 declarations. HTML5 is definitely ready to be used and pushed for; holding back now is a dumb move in my opinion.

This.
(2011-08-09, 06:30 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]You can definitely start using some features of HTML5 without worry, like the shortened DOCTYPE, stylesheet, and UTF-8 declarations. Honestly, HTML5 is ready to be used and pushed for with full force; holding back now is a dumb move in my opinion.

I'll say what I said before. With twig it won't be hard to switch to html5. And, it should mean plugins will still work with the modified theme as well.

MyBB is developing for a wide range of people. And, some may use it for a business which will be slower to update because they need support for everyone (including the small percentage of those who have javascript disabled).
You guys are creating problems that don't exist.

Just use the HTML5 doctype with HTML5 valid code. Maybe you can avoid using new tags if they cause issues to the legacy browsers, but users can use the new tags, <video> etc. if they want, because the template is HTML5 ready. And the HTML5 doctype, charset declaration etc. are designed to be backward compatible.

If you don't want the HTML5 doctype, charset declaration etc. (there isn't any good reason to avoid using them), just edit your template and replace them with the 1 km long XHTML Transitional dtd xml charset blah blah blah declarations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9