MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: About the default theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The default theme shouldn't be heavy on Javascript, CSS3, or other enhancements. In fact it should be the opposite. It should have the most basic features so theme developers can enhance it to whatever they like.

It should be bare-bones because theme developers use it as a springboard for every new theme. With all those extra features it will just make everything more complex (have you seen XenForo's default theme?).

Now, while it should be stripped, it shouldn't be ugly. The previews of the theme look good so I don't think that should be a problem.

So, just keep the visual enhancements to a minimum and everything will be good.
I'd say otherwise, beginner theme devs who arent very good (like me) need a good foundation to build on other than coming up with a bunch of jQuery, Javascript, and CSS codes...
(2011-07-15, 11:41 PM)Wes the Bes Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say otherwise, beginner theme devs who arent very good (like me) need a good foundation to build on other than coming up with a bunch of jQuery, Javascript, and CSS codes...

A foundation to build on is just that; you build on it. You don't need flashy effects because those are not essential to the workings of the forum.

Plus, if you don't know CSS or Javascript you don't have to add it. You can find other ways of making your themes creative and different.
Agreed. As I mentioned in another thread, fancy features should only be used where they enhance the experience rather than to make everything nice and fluffy. The last thing we all need is to have to sort through the crap (for lack of a better term) just to make some simple changes. Ideally the theme should be designed in a way where it offers a greater level of flexibility from the getgo via perhaps extra code such as wrappers as well as a design/source simple enough to (as you said above) allow for simple modifications.

If the team decides to go for form over function (or overfunctionality, even), I would like to suggest that there be a barebones theme with the things mentioned in OP/this post in addition to the main theme. The best of both worlds, I think.
(2011-07-15, 11:04 PM)Ferron Wrote: [ -> ]The default theme shouldn't be heavy on Javascript, CSS3, or other enhancements. In fact it should be the opposite. It should have the most basic features so theme developers can enhance it to whatever they like.

It should be bare-bones because theme developers use it as a springboard for every new theme. With all those extra features it will just make everything more complex (have you seen XenForo's default theme?).

Now, while it should be stripped, it shouldn't be ugly. The previews of the theme look good so I don't think that should be a problem.

So, just keep the visual enhancements to a minimum and everything will be good.

Easy for you guys who develop themes/plugins to say. Toungue

What about MYBB and it's competitors? As said in the other thread MYBB basically is gonna have to keep up with the times and that means adding this stuff. MYBB puts out a basic theme that looks/works like something from a decade ago i can assure all people will go elsewhere. That won't be good for MYBB or anyone else. MYBB has gained it's reputation by staying up to date via adding this stuff ( not going overboard ) as it comes so keep that in mind too. Wink

Have those like Facebook not helping the situation either.
(2011-07-18, 04:51 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Easy for you guys who develop themes/plugins to say. Toungue

What about MYBB and it's competitors? As said in the other thread MYBB basically is gonna have to keep up with the times and that means adding this stuff. MYBB puts out a basic theme that looks/works like something from a decade ago i can assure all people will go elsewhere. That won't be good for MYBB or anyone else. MYBB has gained it's reputation by staying up to date via adding this stuff ( not going overboard ) as it comes so keep that in mind too. Wink

Have those like Facebook not helping the situation either.

Competing with other forums doesn't mean adding the features they have. It means honing the features that set MyBB apart and use them to promote itself.

MyBB has been gaining popularity despite not having the features everyone else has. You've seen everyone update around it (phpBB3, vB4, IPB3, SMF2) and yet MyBB has not added any features they have but it still seems to be growing.

And most people aren't going to choose a forum solely on its design. They are going for the core features it has that set it apart from the competition, not some jQuery effects that might make it look cool.
I definitely agree.
To be honest, it does include some javascript and CSS3 but literally just the bones of it to help improve usability. OK, Justin's used some to add some cool features, but it degrades perfectly for browsers that don't support the coding and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.