MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change Admin Directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to change the admin directory to something not obvious?
The default is /admin/index.php
I want to change it to something like /21djdjiuiu3n7eiuhsd/index.php

How do I do that. I tried from cPanel and it would give me an error if I tried to click the "Admin CP" link. Is there a plugin that can change all traces of Admin C link into something else? I searched but didn't find it.

If not, then how can I change it by hand? I have a lot of plugins and I don't know if it will affect them?
Actually yes!
Here is what you're looking for
http://mods.mybb.com/view-resource/chang...older-name
i want to change my admin directory admin to cp/admin/management how i will do.
Create a new directory called cp and within that admin. At this point you should have ./cp/admin and ./admin in your MyBB root. Move ./admin into ./cp/admin and rename to management. You should now have all the Admin CP files in ./cp/admin/management.

Open ./inc/config.php in FileZilla or similar.
Change: $config['admin_dir'] = 'admin';
To: $config['admin_dir'] = 'cp/admin/management';

And also try not to bump old threads...extremely old threads (3 years)
Don't change your admin directory simply restrict access to it by IP address
(2014-01-22, 06:44 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Create a new directory called cp and within that admin. At this point you should have ./cp/admin and ./admin in your MyBB root. Move ./admin into ./cp/admin and rename to management. You should now have all the Admin CP files in ./cp/admin/management.

It's not recommend to move the admin directory to another directory as MyBB assumes the parent directory is MyBB. Only renaming the directory is supported.
As I was saying this can really mess your forum up just use .htaccess to restrict access to every IP address except yours
(2014-01-22, 06:51 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-22, 06:44 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Create a new directory called cp and within that admin. At this point you should have ./cp/admin and ./admin in your MyBB root. Move ./admin into ./cp/admin and rename to management. You should now have all the Admin CP files in ./cp/admin/management.

It's not recommend to move the admin directory to another directory as MyBB assumes the parent directory is MyBB. Only renaming the directory is supported.

That's a good point, I didn't consider that.

(2014-01-22, 07:08 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]As I was saying this can really mess your forum up just use .htaccess to restrict access to every IP address except yours

That would be the recommended method but firstly their question was renaming the admin directory and second they may not be running apache.