MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP Email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Obviously I am too stupid to figure out how to set this up properly. When I was sending out the activation emails via php is was VERY slow. I was told to try SMTP. I contact my hosting company got the post and the host server but I have no idea what to put for username and password. Do I put my forum username or do i put the email or what? Right now i put the email and these are the results.

[Image: 51634903.png]

Please help me thank you.

ForumKorner.com if you need my website.
Try this.
http://www.scriptinstalls.net/forum/show...p?tid=1036

Just use your mail details instead of Google apps details there.
(2011-07-22, 04:29 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Try this.

Thats the way I already had it setup. And it doesn't work. I am trying the actual google way but the guy that wrote that tutorial obviously didn't know what he was doing as there is no POP/IMAP settings where he said they would be. Nor can I find them anywhere else.
can you add email addresses to your hosting account? if so, add one called [email protected]. If you can't, you should have the one email address from your host that is associated with your domain, so use that account and password.

basically, if you are going to use your hosting account server and port settings, you need an email account that is on the domain.

(2011-07-22, 05:32 AM)360Gaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-22, 04:29 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Try this.

Thats the way I already had it setup. And it doesn't work. I am trying the actual google way but the guy that wrote that tutorial obviously didn't know what he was doing as there is no POP/IMAP settings where he said they would be. Nor can I find them anywhere else.

May i know which SMTP service you are trying to set up?

I'm the one who wrote that tutorial, and i'm sure it works (i'm currently using it on my Forum).
(2011-07-22, 05:53 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Thats the way I already had it setup. And it doesn't work. I am trying the actual google way but the guy that wrote that tutorial obviously didn't know what he was doing as there is no POP/IMAP settings where he said they would be. Nor can I find them anywhere else.

May i know which SMTP service you are trying to set up?

I'm the one who wrote that tutorial, and i'm sure it works (i'm currently using it on my Forum).
[/quote]

Dude honestly I have no idea. I just followed the tutorial 100% up until there was no POP/IMAP in the settings. Either way. I have been trying to fix this for the past 32 hours and its really really starting to piss me off. I am going to call my host and see if they can help me which isnt a realistic option as I have called them 3 other times trying to get help and they tell me to do the same thing everytime and it doesn't work at all. I know nothing about SMTP I just a working guide that I can follow step by step. And yours isnt working for me. :/
(2011-07-22, 05:39 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]can you add email addresses to your hosting account? if so, add one called [email protected]. If you can't, you should have the one email address from your host that is associated with your domain, so use that account and password.

basically, if you are going to use your hosting account server and port settings, you need an email account that is on the domain.

I have that I am using [email protected] put my valid password and this is the result,

Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />0:

Which is not so, As the server and port I got straight from an employee of my hosting company's mouth.
are the settings you are using the same as what your email client is setup to use? the same encryption type (none, ssl, tsl), the same server and port and username, password?
Ok. For enabling POP do this.

Login to the Google apps mail which you set up for SMTP.

On the top you will see the mail ID, click on it and it will show things like "Privacy, Account settings, Signout, etc". Click on Account Settings.
It will take you to google accounts page. Under "My Products", find Gmail and press "Settings" near it.
Now the settings page will appear. Click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" Tab. Select "Enable POP for all mail". Press Save.

If you still can't find it, I can help you if you send me your Google Apps mail login through PM.
(2011-07-22, 06:08 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. For enabling POP do this.

Login to the Google apps mail which you set up for SMTP.

On the top you will see the mail ID, click on it and it will show things like "Privacy, Account settings, Signout, etc". Click on Account Settings.
It will take you to google accounts page. Under "My Products", find Gmail and press "Settings" near it.
Now the settings page will appear. Click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" Tab. Select "Enable POP for all mail". Press Save.

If you still can't find it, I can help you if you send me your Google Apps mail login through PM.

DO you have aim or msn so we can talk?
Kavin I read your tutorial and at first I didn't really understand what you described as setting up mail in Google Apps because in my Google Apps account there is no such thing as mail settings. After a little research I found out that what you are describing only works as a paid user of Google Apps, not for free users.
Free users can just add an alternate email address to a Google Mail account and don't have to sign up for Google Apps.
But I think the best and probably easiest way is to just use the smtp server of your webhost.

Greetings
atnun
Pages: 1 2