MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Nasty computer virus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So today I decided to do the usual and check the status of my websites then something amazing happened. A small little virus appeared out of no where and disabled my firewalls, browser, task panel, start menu and everything else. It even made it so shortcuts didn't work and my right click didn't work. This nasty little bugger carried over to safemode where I couldn't use the task manager or anything. Even the cmd prompt was disabled! I had no choice but to reformat my entire computer losing mostly all of my recent art PSDs and more.

What do you guys think about this? Have you ever got a virus that was just impossible to remove no matter what you did?

Before people comment. I do watch what websites I go to and I'm very knowledgeable with computers. I know how to keep my computer clean and protected. I'm somewhat of a security guy when it comes to computers and I haven't had a virus in 3 years. I have no idea where the virus came from or how it got on my computer. It's one of those viruses that truly amazed me by its capabilities.
You reformatted? *facepalm*

Couldn't you just run rkill?

Even if that didn't work, go into windows recovery disk and delete all the registry keys and files associated with it.
Try using Recuva if you need to recover the files that were deleted:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
It's unlikely you can recover all of your files after formatting and writing new files to the disk.

I think OP needs better virus protection and needs to make regular backups.
Virus protection + Malwarebytes
... you reformatted due to that? If it carried over to safemode you should realize that it modified some/one of the essential safemode drivers. And that could be easily fixed by running sfc /scannow. (Or if CMD is disabled you could use the Windows repair disk)
Also, I recommend Comodo Internet Security (Award winning firewall and an amazing HIPS) and Malwarebytes for on-demand scanning.
I think he's trolling. This isn't what I call "small" and I wouldn't call it "amazing".
"Can't use CMD in safe mode"

If it's Vista or 7 boot the install CD and under "Repair my Computer" there's a CMD prompt that you can use (I think XP has one too, but not as good). You can launch RegEdit (IIRC you have to do some command line switch to edit the real registry instead of the "pseudo-live" environment's one), IE (or FF, but watch out for network drivers), notepad, or really any program (I haven't tried any games yet though).

Reformatting should be an absolute last ditch option, and only after recovering all of the files you want to keep through one of the above options. You could use the command line in the recovery, or you could use an Ubuntu live CD if you need a graphical view of the disk.

Disabling those things are most likely in the registry, so an off-line registry edit from the Windows install/recovery disk should enable you to remove those edits, plus whatever start up entry it put itself into. I would guess it merely added itself to a list of essential system components rather than modifying an existing one.
LiveCD FTW.
Pages: 1 2 3