MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Automated Upgrades?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just wondering why exactly MyBB doesn't have automated upgrades built into it like WordPress does? Is this planned for the future?

NOTE: I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm working on a PHP script that I was considering adding automated upgrades into. However, I have been using MyBB and quite a few other PHP scripts for a long time but WordPress is the only system that seems to use automated upgrades

So, I was just checking to see if there was a reason for this...

Thanks in advance!
I believe it is planned for MyBB 2.0. I remember Ryan Gordon (previous lead developer) saying one of the features he would like to see in MyBB the most was automatic updates. He left the team though, so I'm not sure what the current plans regarding this are. But it is a good idea.
I don't like the idea of having all the files writable...
So I make custom optimizations, few weeks later I wake up one morning to find all of them have been changed.

Great idea.
Surely a setting can be added to disable it if you want.

And Wordpress probably figured something out regarding code edits. It's just a matter of looking into it.
The way WordPress works is that it downloads a ZIP of all the updated core files, and then it unzips/overwrites ALL of your existing core files. That way they know you are running on the latest version.
Well thats not good....

Personally, I think the 2 week, version check in the admin cp works great...

Though it wouldn't hurt to have it check automatically. Smile
(2011-07-23, 07:59 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of having all the files writable...

ftp_connect()

Smile

I actually have plans to make an auto upgrade plugin, and it'll make sure no file edits get removed.
(2011-07-23, 09:10 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-23, 07:59 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of having all the files writable...

ftp_connect()

Smile

I actually have plans to make an auto upgrade plugin, and it'll make sure no file edits get removed.
You. Are. Awesome. Big Grin

Of course it wouldn't be automatic in the sense that it does it without you asking, even WordPress asks before you update the version. But automatic upgrades in the sense that it downloads, uploads, and installs everything for you would be awesome.
I do plan to have a fully automatic version too but it would only do that if it didn't require the upgrade script and you have no file edits. Ideal for important security updates, your forum would patch itself. Obviously you'd still be able to turn that off if you wanted to though. I've put a fair amount of thought into it all so hopefully it'll be good.
Pages: 1 2