MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Accident during upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I upgraded to the new version (1.1.4) from 1.1.2. I accidentally overwrote my ./inc/config.php and./inc/settings.php files. When I did, I noticed an error telling me the board had not been installed. That's when I realized I had made that mistake. I tried to correct this by reinstalling the new board, and now my forums are empty. My question is if my old forum is lost forever, or if there's some way to recover it. Thanks in advance.
Hello there,

No they are not lost, this is unless you have deleted or overwritten the old database.

In you phpmyadmin, make sure of the database name that you have been using before the new installation, then edit ./inc/config.php with these info.

If you also have some backup files, that will be better.

Regards
When I ran the install, it said it was creating tables, etc... I don't have access to phpmyadmin through my host, so I can't check it. The server's running Plesk, and my only options in SQL are to make, rename, add a user or delete a database. I used the same database name and user login when I ran the installer, so my guess is it's overwritten. But I'm wondering if it cleared the tables when it created them.
well it depends, you might have used 2 different table prefix in this case, you will get 2 tables for each entry on something like tableprefix1_users and tableprefix2_users, this is just an example.

In this case the old database has its own table prefix with if you set it in the config.php will give you different results from the other table prefix, inspite that they are in the same database.

Thats why it is important to know what's in your database. and then use them

regards
If you ran the installer with the same database and same table prefix as your old board, then yes your old data would have been cleared.

If you just overwrote your inc/config.php you can easily recreate it with the sample here: [wiki]Inc/config.php[/wiki]

Oh and running the upgrade/installer isn't necessary when upgrading from existing 1.x version. You just need to replace the files.
Hmmm... I am in the same predicament as General Plot was. However, when I opened the install in the web browser, I was suspicious when it wanted to make new tables, so I exited before installing.

Do you think you can elaborate a bit more on finding my old database name and editing it into ./inc/config.php?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me...

/Edit: I've found a lot of questions just like mine all over, so I'll try to follow the instructions in those and I'll post back here if I get stuck...