MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Strange Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running on mybb 1.6 for the past 2 years, now a strange thing happens in my forum

The spammers are able to alter my permissions in some of my sub-forums they change the unregistered permission to "can post threads" and start posting spam in the sub forum

Dont know how this happens ..

somebody please help
Spammers changed the settings in the permissions system? That's not normal. They most likely have access to the Admin CP, in which case it's a hacker you're dealing with. Not a spammer.

I highly recommend you change all your passwords and look for hidden admin accounts.
First: How you are using MyBB 1.6 from 2 years ?? There is approx. 1 year past since the 1.6 version came out Toungue

Alright, the bots are not supposed to change their own permissions unless you granted AdminCP access to them.

Look: ACP > Users and Groups > Groups > Guests > Edit > and see if you've Ticked "Yes, users of this group can access the admin CP" option by any chance ?
Hi Faviouz and Yaldaram

Thank you very much for your reply

Thats a mistake, I actually meant I'm using mybb for the past 2 years and my current version is 1.6

I checked ACP > Users and Groups > Groups > Guests > Edit > and there is no permissions are available for this users except the default ones like view forum and search forum

One thing I noticed was in the sub forums where the spam posts are coming in the permissions are altered to the guests can post... I changed it to default, things are somewhat better now... But I'm sure I havent played with this part for an accidental clik...

This thing happened even after changing my admin password into a very complex one.. how can I know is there any hidden admin/ super mod account active ?
Quote:how can I know is there any hidden admin/ super mod account active ?

Go to Users and Groups>Find Users and in this section: "Is member of one or more of these user groups" choose whichever groups your staff are in, then click the "Find Users" button.