Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solved: 1 Year, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function.
Solved: 1 Year, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago
So my users are not getting a password reset email and I have tested PHP Mail by using this https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/mail/ and it works and in my system mail log it says "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function." any fixes for this?
I used SMTP google email address
(03-30-2018, 01:24 AM)xiaolong Wrote: I used SMTP google email address

How do I switch to that?
ACP > Configuration > Settings > Mail Setting > Mail Handler

Note (just for additional info): If you are going to use Zoho SMTP you need to match the from id and sender id (if you know what I mean) else you will get "Relaying Disallowed" (error code 553).
[Image: logo.svg.svg]
(03-30-2018, 05:35 AM)effone Wrote: ACP >  Configuration > Settings > Mail Setting > Mail Handler

Note (just for additional info): If you are going to use Zoho SMTP you need to match the from id and sender id (if you know what I mean) else you will  get "Relaying Disallowed" (error code 553).

Lol basic anyway what do I fill in for the SMTP hostname or SMTP port etc... never messed with the mail settings in mybb because I never had a problem with this.
It depends on service provider.

Generally it is:
smtp.providername.com (change provider name) but not always correct (for example, in case of Yahoo it is smtp.mail.yahoo.com). You have to go through the mail providers documentation.

For SMTP port try 465 (secured). For insecured it is 25, which you don't need - I guess.
If your provider is a little advanced and complies the new policy of RFC security requirements then you have to use the port 587 instead of 465.
(03-30-2018, 05:45 AM)effone Wrote: It depends on service provider.

Generally it is:
smtp.providername.com (change provider name) but not always correct (for example, in case of Yahoo it is smtp.mail.yahoo.com). You have to go through the mail providers documentation.

For SMTP port try 465 (secured). For insecured it is 25, which you don't need - I guess.
If your provider is a little advanced and complies the new policy of RFC security requirements then you have to use the port 587 instead of 465.

I don't want to enter my username and password for security reasons btw I am using Namecheap can I do it with gmail?

Sorry I have no clue about mail handlers
You can ofcourse use GMail, but what you said about not entering your "username and password for security reasons" < that part I didn't get.
How you don't want to provide basic credential data and expect a software will work for you which is no way related to a service you are going to use?
(03-30-2018, 06:09 AM)effone Wrote: You can ofcourse use GMail, but what you said about not entering your "username and password for security reasons" < that part I didn't get.
How you don't want to provide basic credential data and expect a software will work for you which is no way related to a service you are going to use?

Ok gmail I am cool with how do I set that up?
Mail handler: SMTP mail
SMTP hostname: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465 (if doesn't work try 587)
SMTP username: [email protected]
SMTP password: *****
SMTP Encryption Mode: SSL (if port 465) / TLS (if port 587)