MyBB Community Forums
[For 1.6] Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL] - Printable Version

+- MyBB Community Forums (https://community.mybb.com)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://community.mybb.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Plugins (https://community.mybb.com/forum-73.html)
+---- Forum: Plugin Releases (https://community.mybb.com/forum-102.html)
+---- Thread: [For 1.6] Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL] (/thread-101262.html)

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - frostschutz - 02-06-2012

It's an XML Sitemap meant for search engines only. Check Google Webmaster Tools that the sitemap was found properly or submit it there (add a sitemap reference to your robots.txt so other search engines can pick it up too).

While it's possible to style the XML sitemap, Google SEO doesn't do so because it's not really documented in the sitemap standard here http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html and also I don't really see the point, as it's just not useful to humans really.

Humans don't need a sitemap for a forum, they're better off just browsing the forum itself directly

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - Arka - 02-06-2012

(02-06-2012, 12:43 PM)frostschutz Wrote: It's an XML Sitemap meant for search engines only. Check Google Webmaster Tools that the sitemap was found properly or submit it there (add a sitemap reference to your robots.txt so other search engines can pick it up too).

While it's possible to style the XML sitemap, Google SEO doesn't do so because it's not really documented in the sitemap standard here http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html and also I don't really see the point, as it's just not useful to humans really.

Humans don't need a sitemap for a forum, they're better off just browsing the forum itself directly
OK, Google seems happy enough with the sitemapSmile
I have loaded it and I got the green light.

I am not sure what to do regarding robot.txt. At the moment it seems to have been set in the most general way possible:
Code:
User-agent:*
Allow:/

What I don't understand (and this may be outwith the scope of this thread) is how keywords work. From the list on Google I seem to be missing some keywords which are very pertinent to my site.
Apart from adding a meta tag with a description of what the forum is about using the "right" words, what else can I do to improve my visibility? I am not talking about far fetched combination of words that are not relevant to the content of my forum, but something that comes up very often in the threads. For example there is a keyword (svezzamento) which turns up in 40 thread titles, it is contained in 700 threads and is in over 1500 messages, however it doesn't matter how far down I look in google, using that keyword I cannot find my site.
In short, the only keyword that really works is "autosvezzamento" for which we are No. 1, but that's it.

Any advice?

Thanks again

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - ranjani - 02-06-2012

^ @Arka, use robots.txt example file available with Google SEO plugin BUT replace /MYBB/ in that file with /forum/

Do a site search (site:autosvezzamento.it svezzamento) it finds the word fine on your site, so there is not really a problem from a technical point of view. As for not appearing on top, the site may be too new, or the word to common, or you're simply not popular enough / don't get enough backlinks with this word in it.

The Google SEO plugin only provides the technicalities of SEO (sitemap, url, etc.), getting relevant content and backlinks is another matter entirely, it's not something I can help you with.

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - Arka - 02-06-2012

(02-06-2012, 02:40 PM)frostschutz Wrote: Do a site search (site:autosvezzamento.it svezzamento) it finds the word fine on your site, so there is not really a problem from a technical point of view. As for not appearing on top, the site may be too new, or the word to common, or you're simply not popular enough / don't get enough backlinks with this word in it.

The Google SEO plugin only provides the technicalities of SEO (sitemap, url, etc.), getting relevant content and backlinks is another matter entirely, it's not something I can help you with.

I appreciate that. Thanks anyway.
It is just that with those keywords you get some forums (very large in size and with a lot of money to spend on optimizing SEO), so was wondering how they did it.
For now I think we'll have to stick with the old adage "Content is King" and hope that my member will remember itSmile
(02-06-2012, 02:32 PM)ranjani Wrote: ^ @Arka, use robots.txt example file available with Google SEO plugin BUT replace /MYBB/ in that file with /forum/

ThanksSmile

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - NateN34 - 02-06-2012

Hey, I have been using this plugin for a while and it works great!

Although recently I moved the forums to a different directory that is now in /forums. Before the forums used to be in the root directory with the url www.mywebsite.com.

Now I have it in www.mywebsite.com/forum

How would I make it so that my old links point to my new forum location?

Here is my .htaccess: for the /forum directory, how would I modify this for the root directory, so all old urls now point to the /forum directory?

Code:
Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#
# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.
# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on
#   MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server
#   errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below
#
<IfModule mod_security.c>
    # Turn off mod_security filtering.
    SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

#
# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites
# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have
#   the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file
#   named .htaccess
#
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on

# Some hosts require RewriteBase to make RewriteRules work.
    RewriteBase /forum/

# Google SEO workaround for search.php highlights:
    # Make this rule the first rewrite rule in your .htaccess!
    RewriteRule ^([^&]*)&(.*)$ http://mywebsite.com/$1?$2 [L,QSA,R=301]

# Google SEO 404:
    ErrorDocument 404 /forum/misc.php?google_seo_error=404

# Google SEO Sitemap:
    RewriteRule ^sitemap\-([^./]+)\.xml$ /forum/misc.php?google_seo_sitemap=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Forums:
    RewriteRule ^Forum\-([^./]+)$ /forum/forumdisplay.php?google_seo_forum=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Threads:
    RewriteRule ^Thread\-([^./]+)$ /forum/showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Announcements:
    RewriteRule ^Announcement\-([^./]+)$ /forum/announcements.php?google_seo_announcement=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Users:
    RewriteRule ^User\-([^./]+)$ /forum/member.php?action=profile&google_seo_user=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Calendars:
    RewriteRule ^Calendar\-([^./]+)$ /forum/calendar.php?google_seo_calendar=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Events:
    RewriteRule ^Event\-([^./]+)$ /forum/calendar.php?action=event&google_seo_event=$1 [L,QSA,NC]
</IfModule>

#
# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support
# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to
# the client faster.
#
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript text/css text/html text/xml
</IfModule>

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Exactly the way you posted it.

In the main dir .htaccess rewrite to /forum/xy.php (using RewriteBase /), in the forum dir to just xy.php (RewriteBase /forum/).

Google SEO Redirect will then make sure that forums/threads/etc. are redirected to your new URL.

For the forum index or portal (and other pages) its a different story, you'd have to put R=301 rewrite rules into your main dirs .htaccess for those. But you might be able to just ignore that as it's mainly the threads that's important...

RE: Google SEO 1.6.2 - NateN34 - 02-06-2012

Awesome!

I got 95% of the URLs now working and redirecting to /forum properly.

The question is, is it bad to have two .htacess files? Or should I remove the one in the main directory and have Google re-index everything?

Because currently, everything indexed on google points to /thread-stuff and my redirects make it go to /forum/thread-stuff. Is that bad to do?

Not sure what do do. Sad

RE: Google SEO 1.6.3 - frostschutz - 02-06-2012

New version Google SEO 1.6.3 with the following changes:
  • fix infinite redirect loop case for nginx webserver
  • optimize sitemap index generation for large boards
  • plugin status warning for conflicting URL schemes

@NateN34: Having permanent redirects (HTTP 301) is better than sending all old links to 404 pages. Google will understand those redirects and update its index accordingly.

RE: Google SEO 1.6.3 - slk - 02-06-2012

Where is download link for 1.6.3?

Seems to be gone?

Best regards