MyBB Community Forums
Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Printable Version

+- MyBB Community Forums (https://community.mybb.com)
+-- Forum: 1.8 Support (https://community.mybb.com/forum-175.html)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://community.mybb.com/forum-176.html)
+--- Thread: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( (/thread-209316.html)

Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Ryor2 - 2017-03-25

A whole category/section of forum has 'disappeared' from home page - still shows in Admin control panel, but whatever I do (ticked 'active' box, tried adjusting display order etc) it won't show.

Any ideas please people?  Thanks if you can help.

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - .m. - 2017-03-25

would you like to PM me temporary access to forum admin panel & your web host control panel
(with access to database) - if required, you can give your own credentials & change them later

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Ryor2 - 2017-03-25

I'd love to .m. but am just about to go out!  Could it wait till later, or tomorrow pls?

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - .m. - 2017-03-25

^ yes, you can PM me tomorrow. Also now it is late night for me ..

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Ryor2 - 2017-03-25

(2017-03-25, 04:44 PM).m. Wrote: ^ yes, you can PM me tomorrow. Also now it is late night for me ..

Oh right, sorry! Are you west (US?) or E of UK?

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Ryor2 - 2017-03-28

(2017-03-25, 04:44 PM).m. Wrote: ^ yes, you can PM me tomorrow. Also now it is late night for me ..

Sorry .m., completely forgot about this next day; and Monday had to visit dentist urgently for abcess on tooth, spent nearly all day in town, too late (your night-time) when I got back.

However, thought if I added a reply to one of the threads in the category (Archive) it might somehow 'appear' it. Was on my way to do that, but looked at permissions first - noticed that all were ticked apart from "allow html" so ticked ('checked', for Americans!) that too - and hallelujah, the category magically appeared again!!

So, appreciate your kind offer, but all is now sorted, thanks!

(copy posted on other thread also, as I commented on it also in the 'myBB older versions' location.)

I'll mark myself as best answer then  Big Grin

Hope others in same predicament might find it helpful.

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - .m. - 2017-03-28

^ it looks good to have the forum back Smile
however disallowing html could not be the reason for its disappearing !
moreover we do not recommend to allow html in posting.
if html posting is a necessity then only trusted users & trusted user groups should have that privilege.
we use a plugin (eg. HTML in Posts) for such requirement.

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - Ryor2 - 2017-03-28

Oh, right, ta! What's bad about html then?

Luckily, all our members are trustworthy I'd say, otherwise they'd not be allowed to remain members.

RE: Whole category disappeared from home page, unable to get it to show again :( - dragonexpert - 2017-03-28

Layouts can be completely broken; external applications, which may not be safe, can be embedded. There are probably other reasons as well that I can't think of right now.

OK, thanks for the info.

Why would the category suddenly re-appear as soon as I did that though, if it wasn't the cause?

Our members wouldn't do anything damaging intentionally.